Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '95 Legend. I smelled burning oil a couple weeks ago and monitored oil level. Didn't seem to be losing excessive oil. Then I went on a long road trip (about 3 hrs) and the oil level was very low (3 quarts). Luckily no damage to engine. I brought it in and according to the mechanic there was so much oil underneath the car that they couldn't identify where the leak was coming from. Seems reasonable. So, I had the engine steam cleaned, brought it back to the mechanic, they put it on the lift, ran it for two hours and said that it's not leaking. Note: Prior to checking for leak, I had 30K mile maiteance done. Understand most cars eventually leak oil and also understand that oil was leaking on a hot part of the car, probablly the exhaust manifold, resulting in smell. Maybe oil filter was loose and when they did the 30K service they tightened to spec? So now I will go pick up car and monitor oil level. Anybody have experience with a Legend that leaks excessive oil and where exactly was it leaking from? Please advise.

Thanks.

·
Registered
142 Posts
My leaking is not excessive like your situation describes. However on hot days especially, I often noticed that I could slightly smell burning oil.. After steam cleaning, I came to the conclusion that I had slight leakage around the O rings but nothing drastic.. I usually loose anywhere between 1/2 to 3/4 quarts between oil changes every 3 to 4 thousand miles. Which is not to bad.

I guess in your situation, you will have to continue to run your car and see what happens.. Good Luck

·
Registered
142 Posts
Most any Car wash will do it for you.. My friends body shop did it for me for free. Im not sure, but I think it usuallly runs about 30 to 70 depending on what exactly you want steamed...

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Could be the oil filter.... when I bought my car the oil filter was leaking, and I had i changed right away and it has not leaked a drop since. I go through about .5 to 3/4 Lof oil per change.. so far.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the input. Seems OK for now. I smell some burnt oil, but not as bad. Just have to keep a close eye on it.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
make sure you are not smelling differential gear oil...the seal often fails and leaks all over the bottom...really bad smell...check the level...remove the fill plug..level should be just under the fill plug....if you run it dry you are screwed for big time bux and you will get stranded somewhere. If it was differential oil it will leak less and less as it gets dry...remember, the bleeding ALWAYS stops (when you're out of blood!)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.