Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this as part of my LONG update but I figure most people did not read through it all....... All references to the engine location are based upon looking down the crankshaft from the timing belt side of the engine - left being towards the firewall, right being towards the radiator, forward towards the timing belt, aft being towards the tranny.

I am getting some oil dripping off the oil cooler (the back nut of the three) and tracking it back, it looks like I have some residue of oil along the forward part of the engine (looking along the crankshaft) on the left side towards the cam gear. There is some along the side there as well. There is less oil residue along the right forward quarter of the engine. I am getting ready to pull the exhaust valve covers off but some looks like it might be coming out of the top valve covers.

Since the forward residue appears to be partly under the timing belt cover, it is hidden. So if anyone has seen this before, let me know.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The best way to find an oil leak is to wash the engine down really well and then drive it for a bit to find where it may start from... When the engine is warm, use some degreaser and let it sit for a while, then spray it off keeping away from electrical components as best you can... Sometimes, you may get some in the distributor cap (if the O-ring isn't doing its job) and you may have to take it off and dry it out if the car doesn't start as normal...

·
Registered
293 Posts
Cleaning is fine but obviously be careful where the water goes. Don't let water get into spark plug holes, on distributor or alternater (cover these in plastic wrap/alumnum foil, etc). Also, I had my engine on the warm side, sprayed with full strength Simple Green, then hosed off. Then run your engine for a while to dry everything. Don't want water sitting where it shouldn't.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts