Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok last week i was driving for about 45min and then my oil light started flashing so i shut the car off and started it up the oil light went out, got home checked the oil it was fine. a few days later i gave it an oil change the other day i took it down the road to get some chinese food and in the parking lot i wanted to see if my rpms changed when i turned the ac on and it did for a .5 sec then i turned up the fan and the oil light started flashing again so i shut off the car and went to start it but it just turned over so i was like what the *** then tried again same thing. so then i turned it over with my foot to the floor and it started?!?! Whats wrong, is it serious?? is it related to the ac on or just counicedence?(don't remember if it was on the first time) Please Help:confused:

·
Registered
400 Posts
hopefully coincidence, i hear the electronic boards in the back of the speedo go bad due to heat. so after several years those boards get heated and they tend to crack and worp. i know for sure acura knows about it, its a very commonly reported problem. acura has a list of common problems for the G1 and this is one of them. i guess u either ignore it ....which is impossible with the flashy red light goin off....or replace the boards behind the speedo. since u mentioned the ac thing i dunno what caused that.

·
Registered
602 Posts
It seems like there may be multiple problems here. My oil light comes on and off all the time - I have a small leak and the sensor is very sensative. I also had another problem with the main relay as far as the car starting sporadically(In your case the fuel relay may be the cause). This is due to the boards in the relays warping. And, I don't see how AC could be in any way related to oil. The oil sensor is very sensative and the change in RPM's might have triggered the sensor. Anyways I would wait and try to seperate the problems and tack them down. One may not always be related to another. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Without looking over circuit diagrams, it sounds to me like you have two unrelated problems.

The flashing oil pressure light indicates that there was a momentary loss of oil pressure. If there is not a problem with the oil pressure sensor and its related circuits, you may have marginally adequate (sp?) oil pressure at idle. Turning on the AC will drop the RPMs momentarily while the ECU kicks the idle up to compensate. During this moment, the sensor may have sensed low pressure and flashed the oil pressure warning light. Why the warning light flashed the first time around, I wouldn't know. You didn't provide enough detail with regards to what conditions it came on, i.e. idle speed, driving on the freeway, etc.

Now why the car wouldn't start after picking up chow mein; it sounds like the engine was flooded. Pressing the accelerator to the floor while cranking the engine puts the ECU into a clear-flood mode. It turns off the injectors such that they don't "squirt" on every intake stroke. Why? <shrug> This is something that can't be diagnosed with any certainty without checking it over while it's acting up, much less thru this forum.

As far as electrical boards behind the instruments; there really aren't any. There is a speed sensor board attached to the speedometer and the speed sensor amplifier board. Both have nothing to do with either of your problems.

As a first step, I would recommend verifying that your crankcase is full with quality oil and that your oil pressure meets the specifications in the shop manual. It should be 20 psi minumim at idle, 71 - 82 psi at 3000 rpm. Both readings taken with the engine at operating temperature.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Acura has a very old service bulletin on bad circuit boards in the guage cluster triggering a flashing oil lite on occasion.

·
Registered
400 Posts
yeah i got that info from a mechanic at acura who showed me the printouts, there really isnt anything you can do except live with it or buy a new board back there. if there isnt a board its the plugs that connects to the wires embedded in some kind of sheet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts