Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, just got off the phone with my mechanic and my oil pan is leaking. Um. $600 dollars to fix it :wtf: Because it's hard to do and they have to drop the suspension, and get honda glue, and all that shit. Dammit. Dammit. Dammit. That's my NALM money Dammit! Fecking car. It better be glad I luv it. Because it's pissing me off.

·
Life Ruiner
4,868 Posts
Hey, just got off the phone with my mehanic and my oil pan is leaking. Um. $600 dollars to fix it :wtf: Because it's hard to do and they have to drop the suspension, and get honda glue, and all that shit. Dammit. Dammit. Dammit. That's my NALM money Dammit! Fecking car. It better be glad I luv it. Because it's pissing me off.
Is it leaking a lot?

Let it leak they all do eventually. a drip here and a drip there. Use heavier weight oil.

To drop the oil pan isnt a walk in the park. AC has to come off, diff and then pan.

Remove cross member bars, remove A/C disconnect the tranny drive shaft to the diff drop the diff carrier, then the pan can be taken out.

Pain in the ass. I did it one while the engine was in the car. The car was on jackstands-no lift. I would never do it again without a lift.

~Dv8

·
Banned
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it's leaking a good amount. Well, too much for me. I made the appt. for Tuesday so I can have the loaner volvo wagon, woohoo soccer mom! I want no freakin oil leaks! Pretty soon everything under that hood is gonna be like it was in 1995 and I will be able to say that I paid $40k for that car, lmao!

·
Banned
14,938 Posts
werd. it is a long and PITA job.

however, its not that bad. getting honda glue? i know i know, its called honda bond and its for sealing the oil pan, but thats cheap stuff.

You don't have to drop the whole suspension NOR remove ANY crossmembers. I've done it. the pan clears. you do have to remove/move the steering rack (i had removed mine to replace it anyways)

defiantly a pain in the ass but should be straight forward on a lift.

GL. remember you are driving a 40k which is HIGH on maintence but worth every penny in the long run. What I did was start a fund and put money in it monthly like a car note. so that when shit goes down or I want to upgrading something, i have some money in reserve.

·
Banned
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
werd. it is a long and PITA job.

however, its not that bad. getting honda glue? i know i know, its called honda bond and its for sealing the oil pan, but thats cheap stuff.

You don't have to drop the whole suspension NOR remove ANY crossmembers. I've done it. the pan clears. you do have to remove/move the steering rack (i had removed mine to replace it anyways)

defiantly a pain in the ass but should be straight forward on a lift.

GL. remember you are driving a 40k which is HIGH on maintence but worth every penny in the long run. What I did was start a fund and put money in it monthly like a car note. so that when shit goes down or I want to upgrading something, i have some money in reserve.
Honda glue, honda cement, honda stuff that seals the pan, whatever, lol! I like my mechanic because he doesn't short me and buy anything not Honda for my car. I don't want it done half ass the first time.

I have a side account for my car, trust me! Like when I had the bhg, I had to take out $2100 to pay for most of the work, but then when I got my tax refund, I put it back in. Same here, I pay the $600, but it will go back in there. So I always have my cushion.

·
Banned
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea, thats the way to do it.

what i ment about the hondabond, was it sounded like he made a big deal that he had to get that stuff, like its expensive and hard to source. atleast thats how it came across from your post.
My bad, I did make it sound like that huh. I'm just overly dramatic because A. I'm a chick, what do you expect? and B. Geeeezus, I was hoping after the last 5k I put into the damn thing that she wouldn't be so bitchy for a while!

I did get good news though. The funky wheel noise was just my tires, something called capping or something like that :confused:

Edit: Cupping. I think he said it was called cupping.

·
Banned
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jeeeeeeeeeeezus. I have the worst luck ever. I think my legend is jinxed. So they fixed my oil pan, great. But there is another leak that they can't figure out where it's coming from. No big deal, but in the meantime, I'm driving this ugly ugly 92 volvo wagon. How annoying. Thanks for listening to my rant.

·
Banned
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
is it oil? what side of the motor is it coming from?? i hope its not the back, it could be your rear crank seal!!
Nope, not that, that had a huge oil leak and I had that fixed in January. It's coming from around where the oil pan is because I couldn't even tell there was two leaks until after that was fixed and it still had a small leak.

·
Registered
292 Posts
front or rear?

front you have crank seal and the often overlooked oil dipstick tube seal MINE was leaking

also could be valve covers running down the block

might be worth haveing the engine cleaned so they can see exactly where the oil is leaking from

mine still leaks a few drops a week I dont care i just put a mat down on my new driveway

·
Banned
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
front or rear?

front you have crank seal and the often overlooked oil dipstick tube seal MINE was leaking

also could be valve covers running down the block

might be worth haveing the engine cleaned so they can see exactly where the oil is leaking from

mine still leaks a few drops a week I dont care i just put a mat down on my new driveway
Rear. Thanks for the suggestions, I know they cleaned the engine so they could try to figure out where it's coming from. If they haven't figured it out today I'm going to start throwing suggestions out there. He said it's just a trickle, so it's not that bad, I would just like to know where it's coming from.

·
difficult to kill
722 Posts
well just a trickle doesnt sound that bad... if youre paying by the hour for them to track down a small leak, it might not really be worth it. especially after a couple hours of head scratching. not saying your mechanic cant do it but it might be something that takes an ungodly amount of time.

·
Banned
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, good news. They found my leak and they aren't charging me anything extra for the time to find it or fix it. AND, since it took so long, they serviced my air conditioner, for free! woot woot!

·
Banned
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
niiice! she should be nice and ready for NALM huh!!
Oh hell yeah! I only have one more thing that I want to do before NALM and that is fix my rubber seal around my window. It's bunched up and caused a nasty bubble in my tint. But the tint place said they would redo my tint for free, if I get the seal fixed first.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.