Acura Legend Forum banner

oil question

967 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  brooklyn legend 
#1 ·
if there are no leaks in a car engine. were does the oil go ? I checked my oil and it was very low. does it burn up? I mean I do have a tranny problem that causes me to drive on d3. so I get a higher rpm . I want to know is that the cause of the missing oil?
sorry for the confusing post:)

#3 ·
Your o-ring seals could be bad and your burning it.. how low is it? When you changed you oil did you start the car and let it fill the new filter or fill the filter before attaching it?? And was it completely full to begin with? Also how many miles are on the car? And Peeta, that's the first time I've heard anyone checking oil with the engine running, transmission fluid, yeah, but oil? Be careful if you doing that it could "spit" on you one day!

#4 ·
brooklyn legend said:
if there are no leaks in a car engine. were does the oil go ? I checked my oil and it was very low. does it burn up? I mean I do have a tranny problem that causes me to drive on d3. so I get a higher rpm . I want to know is that the cause of the missing oil?
sorry for the confusing post:)
If you're missing oil and you have no visible leaks then chances are you are burning it. I wouldn't think driving in D3 would account for your missing oil.

My first guess would be that you have a problem with your oil rings but I certainly am no mechanic.

#5 ·
I think it all depends on how low the oil was. It is absolutely normal in EVERY car to go through oil between oil changes..... it even says that in our owners manual. I dont burn oil, and dont leak it either, and I still go through about .5-1 litre of oil every oil change. Quite normal.

Either you are burning it.... blue smoke.....which probably means bad piston rings.... or you are leaking it. A common cause for oil leaks is the filter not being tightened properly. Very simple.... make sure its tight. Could be other things such as oil pan gasket, rear main seal, etc....

Always check oil with the engine off, and wait about 3-4 minutes (if you can) before checking it, so the oil can settle back into the pan. Also, checking the oil on an incline may give a faulty reading.

Switching to synthetic on a high KM engine will likely cause more oil consumption as it is a finer substance than regular stuff, and will get through

A radio station here in Calgary had this brand new hummer that had the logo on it and all that stuff. the guy was always driving it around doing promos and things like that. Like a true idiot, he figures because it was a $100K vehicle, he did not have to check the oil..... wrong..... guess what?? He fried the engine!! The thing did not even have 10000 km on it. Lets just say he got in mega crap for that. Just goes to show how every vehicle goes through oil.

#6 ·
i got an oil change today and made sure he fit the oil filter tight. also Im going to watch the oil level more frequently now because I dont have blue smoke or even a heavy flow of smoke coming out of my exhaust. how can you check your 0-rings? thanx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.