Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 RL with 91,000 miles on it and it's time to change the oil. What kind of oil should I use? Should I go synthetic? What viscosity should I use? I read in the manual that I should change it every 7,500 miles. Should I really wait that long, or I should I do it closer to 3,000? Also, if I change it myself, what kind of oil filter should I use? Thanks!

·
Registered
132 Posts
You'll get a dozen responses with a dozen different answers I'm sure...so here's my personal preference: 5w30 Mobil1 every 5000 miles, not that I drive it that hard, but the detergents in the oil do breakdown over time, so changing it at 5000 is not necessary, but it's cheap insurance. I used a ToughGuard Fram oil filter. Usually $25-$26 for oil and filter at Walmart.

Additionally, every two oil changes I drain what I can from the trans and replace with Honda ATF (~3 qts). Once again, cheap insurance, and at 105,000 miles it still shifts like butter.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.