Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you guys may or may not know I just aquired a 1991 Legend. It is a few miles overdue for a service. It has had every service at Genuine Honda Dealers and is till running Genuine Honda Oil. Now I am pretty sure Honda oil is 10-30W but I don't want to put that in so what would you guys recommend. I think I am going to go with some
Valvoline Fully Synthetic 5-40W let me know what you guys think.

· is gone with the wind ...
1,019 Posts
Acura recommends 5W-30, not 10W-40. I currently use AMSOIL 5W-30 full synthetic with an NSX filter from the dealer.

· Fre OG
1,258 Posts
89HondaLegend said:
As you guys may or may not know I just aquired a 1991 Legend. It is a few miles overdue for a service. It has had every service at Genuine Honda Dealers and is till running Genuine Honda Oil. Now I am pretty sure Honda oil is 10-30W but I don't want to put that in so what would you guys recommend. I think I am going to go with some
Valvoline Fully Synthetic 5-40W let me know what you guys think.
How many miles are on the car, if its over 100k I would not use fully synthetic if it has only seen normal, its not good for the engine.

· is gone with the wind ...
1,019 Posts
Shaylord said:
How many miles are on the car, if its over 100k I would not use fully synthetic if it has only seen normal, its not good for the engine.
This is a partial myth. The "myth" part is that synthetic oil should not be used after 100K. I switched to AMSOIL from dino oil at 165K and now burn less and get cleaner changes than before. The "partial" part is that the switch is not good for the engine. Actually, it is advisable to use a valve seal conditioner (many on the market) for 200-300 miles in your oil before a switch to full synthetic. Then you should have no problems.

In fairness, however, switching is probably not going to gain you that much. Many members have long healthy lives for their G2's using dino oil with regular 3K changes. So, don't go religious on us with the decision ;)

My $0.03.

· Registered
1,028 Posts
There are amny opinions and myths when it comes to oil.

Most have a favorite and stand by it. Some just buy the most expensive and think they are getting the best oil for their car. Some buy the cheapest to save money now instead of later. Some change their oil every 3k miles when test show it could be changed every 6k - 8k miles with no harm and the same results. This is also depending on where you live as far as the climate is concerned and your driving habits (how hard you drive).

Look at the ingredients on the side on most bottles of oil, they almost all contain the same stuff, and most are made by the same companys. There are however, different blends for viscosity. 5w-30 is not for everyone who drives an Acura. This varies for cold climates (North) and hot climates (South).

Just read all of the information here and do a little more research, then decide what you think is best for your car and location.

Just my $2 worth.

:2cool:

· Registered
2,473 Posts
I switched to synthetic when I had 146k miles using Royal Purple. No leaks or oil comsumption.

Old engines have worn seals. That's normal. Sometimes it's too old that synthetic oil will take away the contamination that may stop the leak, therefore leak afterwards. THIS IS A GOOD THING IF YOU'RE LEAKING AFTER A SYNTHETIC CHANGE. This means your seal is dead to start with. Regular oil will just cover it up. Personally, I rather know that I have bad seals from the beginning than to wait it out any longer. Guys who leaks from the start will blame it on the oil, rather it's the worn seals they should be pointing fingers at. Don't stick a bandaid on your engine. Fix what needs to be fixed.

· Domesticated *******
1,679 Posts
khoerling said:
The rule is not to switch if you have any leaks.
I use what is arguably the best synthetic: Royal Purple.

k.
I have to second this. 100% correct. I would still use an additive called AT205. Its a seal conditioner.

Royal Purple is the best damn thing sinced sliced bread. I got 2 mpg better gas mileage when I switched the differential, manual tranny fluid (10W30), and engine oil (5w30). The tranny shifts better also... I did this on both my Legends and my coupe is at 265k original engine...

· Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks very much for your input guys. I am aware that oil is a very dicey subject. Black 91 LS Coupe you are absolutely right. I am one of those people who can not wait to change my oil. I don't know why but I am. I have decided on a 5-40 because I am going to be driving the car mostly on long trips. In the next couple of weeks I am going to be going 370 Miles in one day and then a week later 370 miles back home. Also the oil is still thin enough for around town driving. Plus it is 90+ weather here. I feel so bad for the car being subjected to such a hot climate. The leather has gone hard from the previos owner leaving it out in the sun.
Anyway that is my reasoning and I will probably put an additive in the oil just depending on what happens after I put the oil in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.