Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, Dave and I have replaced the Timing Belt/Water Pump, the radiator fan, a blown coolant hose, I just put radiator stop leak in the raditor (I can't afford a new rad at the moment, so please dont flame me about the stop leak) to stop it from leaking, and it has.

Over the last few months I have also replaced the fan control unit, and the thermostat. It continues to overheat, worse now than ever.

What else can I do short of replacing the radiator?

· Registered
1,292 Posts
Have you replaced the radiator cap? Could be something that simple. Also, take it to a shop and have them pressure test the system to see if its developing the proper pressures / temperatures to open the thermostat and operate the thermo-switches. You knew about the thermo-switches, right?See here (page 3-3) http://www.honda.co.uk/owner/LegendCoupe/62sg000/3-2.pdf for the proper specs, and here for cap and rad pressure testing: http://www.honda.co.uk/owner/LegendCoupe/62sg000/5-49.pdf and here for location of the thermo-sensor: http://www.honda.co.uk/owner/LegendCoupe/62sg000/5-46.pdf

· Registered
2,316 Posts
BAD! DONT USE STOP LEAK! ALL THAT STUFF DOES IS CLOG PASSAGES IN THE RADIATOR AND WILL CAUSE MORE OVERHEATING! Have you replaced the thermostat? i would suspect this more than anything. Good luck Ted.

· Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The raditor cap is brand new,although I think autozone gave me the wrong one. It does not seem to hold on a snug as the old one did.

Yes, I did replace the thermostat (about 5 months ago).

I got the stop leak for one reason:

The radiator was spraying coolant out if the top as soon as the engine was warm. I can't afford to buy antifreeze everyday, and I can't just put water in it because it would freeze.

I am about ready to buy a new thermostat. I'm starting think the one I got was a dud.

· Registered
4,259 Posts
tedhodges said:
The raditor cap is brand new,although I think autozone gave me the wrong one. It does not seem to hold on a snug as the old one did.

Yes, I did replace the thermostat (about 5 months ago).

I got the stop leak for one reason:

The radiator was spraying coolant out if the top as soon as the engine was warm. I can't afford to buy antifreeze everyday, and I can't just put water in it because it would freeze.

I am about ready to buy a new thermostat. I'm starting think the one I got was a dud.
I'm with arcinguy, blown head gasket...

· Registered
142 Posts
Check your cap again !!!!

This is from autozones web page you need to see if you have the wrong cap .Is the coolant leaking around the cap? That would cause overheating if it's not buiding pressure and it also will cause air in the system. Hope this helps !!!!

CST 7516 $6.49
FOR MODELS EQUIPPED WITH AFTERMARKET RADIATOR
UPGRADE WITH 1-1/4" INSIDE DIAMETER RADIATOR NECK,
16-LB SYSTEM

CST 7016 $3.99
FOR MODELS EQUIPPED WITH ORIGINAL RADIATOR UPGRADE
WITH 1-5/8" INSIDE DIAMETER RADIATOR NECK,
16-LB SYSTEM.

CST
PRESSURE RELEASE 7716 $5.99
FOR 16 LB SYSTEM

· Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes it was gushing out yesterday when it overheated near the redline, and it has in the past.
We had to get this one because my dad took the old one off when it was hot and lost it to the unknown when he droped it (I know not to take it off when it's hot, but it happend when the water pump was bad, and my dad just had to get home right then, couldn't wait for it to cool off).

· Registered
2,038 Posts
i doubt it could be a blown head.
it could also be air in the coolant system.
honda is nitorious for that.
i used stop leak in my accord...plus changed the coolant too.
but did'nt think about bleeding it.
i was thinking the stop leak was causing it to clog.

okay do the cooling fans come on when it reaches the redline??

· Registered
2,316 Posts
If you want an easy check for a BHG .... wait till its cool and start it up for about a minute then shut it off and squeeze the hoses feeling for pressue. if there is, open the cap. if coolant starts gushing, BHG. the idea is the coolant is still cool and if there is pressure it will be from a BHG.

· Registered
142 Posts
Ok you said it's blowing coolant out where the cap goes correct ? Is the hose to the recovery tank hooked up ? If its running hot and blowing coolant out, And the radiator cap is the right one it should be overflowing into the coolant recovery tank not out of the top of the radiator unless you have a crack or a hole in the radiator. It sounds to me like you have the wrong cap on it. "The raditor cap is brand new,although I think autozone gave me the wrong one. It does not seem to hold on a snug as the old one did." It should fit tight!!! Hope this helps !!!!!

· Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah it doesn't fit as tight as it should.
I wanted the same cap it had before, but they "ran out of stock" and suggested I get the more expensive model. I was in no position to argue with them, because I didn't have a cap at all and I had to get home.

· Registered
142 Posts
Hey dude go back to the auto parts and drag his a** outside and make him give you the right cap!!! If whoever may have replaced the radiator at one time and you may have the wrong cap. One is 1 1/4 and one is 1 5/8 Hope this helps !!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.