Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gotten a lot of good information from the Legend forums before, so I thought I'd throw this one out there...

The simple question is -
Has anyone dealt with onboard computer failures (in part or in whole, we haven't determined which)? If so, how did it get resolved? As in, what options do you have, what was the cost?

My particular situation is -
In between oil changes, I was down a quart of oil. So the console display (1990 LS Coupe with dash system check functions) comes up 'Check Engine Oil Level'. No problem, within an hour I top it off and think gee that's helpful, I better check it more often. Weeeell, now every time I start the vehicle I get the 'Check Engine Oil Level' and dash light 'System Check'. So in it goes for diagnostics. And as I silently suspected, it's gonna end up being a onboard computer/electronics problem. The folks looking at it are ASE certified capable guys who have been working on my wife and my vehicles for awhile now, so I have no reason to question their efforts. Right now, they are doing 'a series of flowchart testing processes' that they are including in the cost of the diagnostics. I get the feeling they appreciate that I'm taking excellent care of the vehicle and are trying to help sort it out.
Still, I can't help thinking of the inevitable possibilites. So...
Can I disable a portion of the system check components (heck, I know where the dipstick is and I'm fine checking it occasionally. Electronics are nice, but I could survive without it)?
What is the cost of a new brain (onboard computer), if it heads in that direction?
Anybody got ballpark costs for brain part surgery (my own term for it)?

Thanks in advance for any useful information!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Carl Curry said:
The folks looking at it are ASE certified capable guys who have been working on my wife and my vehicles for awhile now, so I have no reason to question their efforts.
These guys do work on you rwife as well....
Sh*t you must beleive they do a good job ;)

·
Registered
703 Posts
The check engine oil level light only comes on if the level is low. If the pressure is low, the red oil light will come on. You most likely have a bad or dirty sensor.

·
Registered
400 Posts
eric f is correct about the differece with the two oil lights.....system check is low oil, while the flashing red oil light is low pressure...two different scenarios. well a new in dash computer it about $500. its cheaper to replace the sensor, the computer hardly ever fails. mine use to never count off mileage, therefore it would not give me mpg, ampg, trip meter, service due, so i said this thing is use less. also my cruise control wouldnt work. well i went to acura and met one of the mechanics who showed me all the books and diagnostics. to make a long story short all i had to do was replace the speed sensor(which no one sells seperate) behind the the speedo. after i did that the computer came alive and started counting off the mileage and my cruise control even worked. to finally get cruise control and a fully working in dash computer for free was a deal. its worthing working with if the price is right. in this case it can be expensive but if worth it this computer is a good gadget worth having.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.