Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me exactly what the difference is in the
"KA 49 State Emissions" engine setup and the
"KL California Emissions" engine setup? Like I know the ECU's aren't identical and maybe other differences is present too?

And does those differences make any difference in performance?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for the link, but it doesn't really tell me what the real difference is, just the difference in the digits not the performance. I mean does the KL(california) version have a limiter or something else, is it slower or is it the same. Those kind of things.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Can anyone tell me exactly what the difference is in the
"KA 49 State Emissions" engine setup and the
"KL California Emissions" engine setup? Like I know the ECU's aren't identical and maybe other differences is present too?

And does those differences make any difference in performance?
Yes California has more strict emissions. In a few cases this causes an increase in performance ( IE fords switched To Mass Air Flow(MAF) from Manifold Absolute Pressure(MAP) sensors a year early in california. Making an 88 Mustang (California) a lot better than an 88 Mustang from any other state.)

In general though, performance suffers more on CA cars. Im pretty sure the KL has a different EGR than the rest of them on second gen acura. Telion might know specifics, since he chips these cars, but in most cases using a California ECU on a non California car is a BAD idea.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Actually I thought it was the other way around if. I think I can remember reading about the KL(california) having less power due to a restriction of some kind or something like that, but I'm not completely sure how it is. So that would actually make the KA better if talking about performance. But I need to know for sure if anyone knows for sure and not just throwing something useless at me. Just to make it clear I'm not saying your post was useless, I just mean I would love to have the actual and true info about this if possible.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
The differences are minor but yes there are differences both in the coding and in a couple of resistors which could point to a different section of coding on the ECU as far as performance it has never really been proven that either gives more or less power than the other (on a dyno back to back comparison) as far as the ignition and fuel maps and they are identical. My guess would be some additional refinements in the coding of the emissions control onboard the ECU. I do know that in some cases the KL acts wierd in KA vehicles I am yet to try removing the resistors associated with the differences to see if this eliminates the differences. In most cases the difference is either immidiately sp* noticable or not at all.

·
Banned
14,938 Posts
Yes California has more strict emissions. In a few cases this causes an increase in performance ( IE fords switched To Mass Air Flow(MAF) from Manifold Absolute Pressure(MAP) sensors a year early in california. Making an 88 Mustang (California) a lot better than an 88 Mustang from any other state.)

In general though, performance suffers more on CA cars. Im pretty sure the KL has a different EGR than the rest of them on second gen acura. Telion might know specifics, since he chips these cars, but in most cases using a California ECU on a non California car is a BAD idea.
i ran a cali ECU on my coupe for a while. i didn't notice any differences in performance.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
My Coupe is a California car (KL). Swapped out for a Bayou StageII. From what I recall years ago, someone saying the only different was at startup, something about the initial warm-up procedure of the car.

Must not be too different though, I mean I pass California emissions with my Bayou ECU...

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Actually I thought it was the other way around if. I think I can remember reading about the KL(california) having less power due to a restriction of some kind or something like that, but I'm not completely sure how it is. So that would actually make the KA better if talking about performance. But I need to know for sure if anyone knows for sure and not just throwing something useless at me. Just to make it clear I'm not saying your post was useless, I just mean I would love to have the actual and true info about this if possible.
Just to clarify, thats what i said. KL (california) engines will generally have more restrictions. When i said CA that was not a typo for KA. CA is the American abbreviation for the state of CAlifornia :)

Anyway Telion responded and i would listen to him over me on these cars, just wanted to clarify my post.

Either way, i don't know why you would want a KL ECU. Its DEFINITELY not going to gain you any power, and it MIGHT cause some weird errors. Plus they are a lot harder to find, and cost more (if you dont live in CAlifornia)

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Just to clarify, thats what i said. KL (california) engines will generally have more restrictions. When i said CA that was not a typo for KA. CA is the American abbreviation for the state of CAlifornia :)

Anyway Telion responded and i would listen to him over me on these cars, just wanted to clarify my post.

Either way, i don't know why you would want a KL ECU. Its DEFINITELY not going to gain you any power, and it MIGHT cause some weird errors. Plus they are a lot harder to find, and cost more (if you dont live in CAlifornia)
I do have two on hand to be chipped:D

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just to clarify, I don't want a KL ECU, I just wanted to know about the differences in these too different emission ECU, nothing else. I'm very satisfied with my ECU which produces close to stock power(results from a dynotest).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.