Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Ultimate DIYer
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I searched this forum so many times to get some information for aftermarket coilovers for my 97 RL and I decided to go for Ksport Kontrol Pro Damper System. As y'all know, there's no aftermarket parts for 1st-gen RLs.

I saw some of you have Ksport for 04-07 TSX installed on RL. In this case, you cannot use the supplied Ksport upper mounts and have to replace them with the OEM RL upper mounts. In addition, you need some washers for lower mount of rear strut where the lower portion of the strut attaches to the joint. There may be some more modifications involved to properly mount the shock assembly on RL.

I'm curious why you don't recommend to use 2nd-gen Legend coilovers to 1st-gen RL. The 1st-gen RL has much more similar shock assembly to 2nd-gen Legend than TSX. Look at the attached part diagrams of RL, Legend, and TSX for comparison. Most of part numbers are same to RL and Legend but not TSX. IMO, Legend shock assembly requires almost no modification for RL and you can use Ksport upper mounts too. What is your opinions? I want y'all opinions, especially who currently owns Ksport coilovers for RL and Legend. Thanks.

RL front shock absorber

Legend front shock absorber

TSX front shock absorber

RL rear shock absorber

Legend rear shock absorber

TSX rear shock absorber

* Part diagrams are screenshots from Acura Parts @ AcuraAutomotiveParts.org - Genuine Acura OEM Parts from Acura Carland.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I installed 2nd gen Legend struts and Eibach springs on my 1997 RL. They installed fairly easily, the only diff was the front fork inner diameter for the RL was too small so I had to get the Legend fork and viola! Ridewise , its a little soft but not too much. I'm considering using the lowering springs for a 2005 RL but I need to do more research to see if they are the same diameter, etc. If so I think these might be better just because the 05 RL its heavier therefore the ride won't be as soft. I like to help you, maybe we can find a solution for this problem together.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You described exactly what I did...???? The problem in my opinion is getting a spring with the right characteristics so the car is not too soft or bouncy.

·
ビップスタイ&#
618 Posts
I talked to K Sport in December, and they quoted me 1700 for a direct application for our RL's. Good luck with what you do, and keep us updated! :)

·
Ultimate DIYer
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I installed 2nd gen Legend struts and Eibach springs on my 1997 RL. They installed fairly easily, the only diff was the front fork inner diameter for the RL was too small so I had to get the Legend fork and viola! Ridewise , its a little soft but not too much. I'm considering using the lowering springs for a 2005 RL but I need to do more research to see if they are the same diameter, etc. If so I think these might be better just because the 05 RL its heavier therefore the ride won't be as soft. I like to help you, maybe we can find a solution for this problem together.
Have you measured the fork diameter difference between RL and Legend? How much differs?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Unfortunately I did this a year and a half ago so I don't have the exact numbers. But I can definately tell you the inner fork diameter for the RL is about a 1/8 to a 1/4 inch smaller than the legend's fork. The mounting ears are at the same distance so it slides in the a arm just fine.

·
Ultimate DIYer
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Group Buys: Ksport coilover for G2 Legend at $760 shipped!

I talked to K Sport in December, and they quoted me 1700 for a direct application for our RL's. Good luck with what you do, and keep us updated! :)
Check the "Group Buys" in the forum. emaculate91ls will start the 5th group buy for the G2 Legend Ksport coilovers at $760 shipped or below tonight.

Search more about the keyword "Ksport" or "Ksports" in the forum. Ksport coilover is the top performance wise yet comfortable.

·
Registered
30 Posts
97 RLer,
Now, $760 for coilovers is a different ball game. I researched the spring rates and the RL rates are 12/7, the spring rates on the Ksport for the legend are 13/7, so that IS the solution, you know they should fit perfectly. I little stiffer up front which is great.

·
Ultimate DIYer
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Group buys for G2 Legend Ksport is just $760 which is $940 cheaper than you quote for KA9. The only modification required may be front strut forks swap from G2 Legend. You can buy a good used pair of them under $50 shipped. Check the OEM part out forum. Also check the GB link below.

http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/f37/ksport-kontrol-group-buy-round-5-760-shipped-120810/

Anyway, I think buying G2 Legend Ksport for G1 RL is cheaper and better solution than buying TSX Ksport. TSX Ksport coilover is $100 more than G2 Legend application. You have to reuse your OEM upper mounts for TSX application but you don't need to do it for G1 Legend application.

·
ビップスタイ&#
618 Posts
Group buys for G2 Legend Ksport is just $760 which is $940 cheaper than you quote for KA9. The only modification required may be front strut forks swap from G2 Legend. You can buy a good used pair of them under $50 shipped. Check the OEM part out forum. Also check the GB link below.

http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/f37/ksport-kontrol-group-buy-round-5-760-shipped-120810/

Anyway, I think buying G2 Legend Ksport for G1 RL is cheaper and better solution than buying TSX Ksport. TSX Ksport coilover is $100 more than G2 Legend application. You have to reuse your OEM upper mounts for TSX application but you don't need to do it for G1 Legend application.
Thanks for the info :) I might be in this buy just as well... I think i have enough money!

·
ビップスタイ&#
618 Posts
I don't know much about spring rates... is it the higher number you go up, the more bouncy it is? I kinda want it substantially bouncier than stock, but not unbearable.

·
Registered
30 Posts
the higher it goes the stiffer the spring will be, not bouncy, if the spring its rated too low for the weight of the vehicle then it will bounce around and maybe even bottom out.

·
Ultimate DIYer
174 Posts

·
ビップスタイ&#
618 Posts
One thing that totally slipped my mind... We would be needing camber kits too, right?

·
Ultimate DIYer
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
One thing that totally slipped my mind... We would be needing camber kits too, right?
It depends on how much you want to go low. Generally, you don't need it within 1" drop. But you will want to go lower than that. Most of members recommend to use SPC, Ingalls or Eibach camber kit which will cost you around $300 for front and rear. I bought mine off eBay at $34.00 for front and $62.50 for rear including shipping.

·
ビップスタイ&#
618 Posts
Which camber kit did you end up buying?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts