Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those stupid shallow cup holders. I spilled my sprite around the AUTO shifter and now its sticky when i shift in and out of gears.
The surface is all clean now, but the stickyness is inside or under the covered part of the tranny.

What is the best way to clean it?

·
Registered
400 Posts
you have to remove the whole center console to get under that shifter cover. theres screws all along each side of the console from the sides of the radio to just next to the seat belt female lock. and then theres two more under the ashtray and two more inside the center console....u know under the leather flap compartment. once u take those screws out you should be able to remove the back end of the center console. once u do that u should be able to flip some clips that hold the shifter cover inside the other part of the console, its tricky so be careful not to get short tempered and break something, it should all clip apart.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Before you pull everything apart (which ain't hard - just time consuming) spray some wd-40 in the area where you spilled the sprite. This should loosen thinkgs up. My wife did the same thing in her car with a coke and the wd-40 got everything working fine until I could get the thing a part and clean it up.

Oh, btw - get a better cup holder or stop drinking in the car.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Or only drink beer while in the car, when beer spills it doesnt get sticky:) Im so smart:D lol

·
Registered
157 Posts
"stupid car doesn't have any stupid cupholders (muttered under breath)." My best friends description of his MX6. He came to visit for the Final Four (Go Terps) and said the same thing about my Legend. Heavy Sigh. The console is pretty easy to take apart but I would have a manual handy, there are some screws in places you would not think to look.

·
Registered
846 Posts
After you take it apart a couple times and put it back together its easy as pie. I installed 2 different CD players in about 3 weekd time, my most recent one just broke so I had to take it out get it fixed then put it back in. then I realized that I forgot to plug in the cigarette lighter(need it for fuzz buster) took it apart yet another time. After all that I can now take it apart in about 3 minutes and 14 seconds, jk:) Do be careful about the screws, there are some tricky ones in there. Good luck. If you get stuck, just ask:)

·
Registered
846 Posts
Oh, and vince, are you suggesting a new drink of choice for me?:p Might be a little to strong for my taste :)

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the replies guys. i dunno about WD 40 because i heard that stuff makes parts stick together. I will try the rubbing alcohol stuff on the outside. But before i take apart everything (havent done it before and don't really want to), could i just go thru that little "secret passage" in the center console and clean up around there?
Are there any special wires, gear thingies i should worry about before cleaning the inside of the shifter cover?

·
Registered
30 Posts
WD-40 does not make parts stick together. It evaporates pretty quickly and the wd stands for water displacement. Don't be afraid to use it. Just spray it liberally in the areas where you've got stickiness and then work the shift lever.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok thanks ill try wd-40 under the cover and ill use rubbing alcohol for the outside.. hehe yea i know the tranny is under the hood and all, but i thought maybe there could be synchros or something directly under the cover.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts