Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
hi....
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is what i found from wikipedia...
Q: What bulbs are used in my car?

A: This is a list of bulb types used in a 1994 legend LS model sedan. All G2 sedans should be the same, with only minor differences for a coupe.
External:
Low-beams: 9006 (HB4), 51W (x2)
High-beams: 9005 (HB3), 60W (x2)

Now i just bought the optilux 9006 hb4, 80w for my low beams.. will that be a problem cuz it says our stock ones are 51w... will it burn out the housing or something or am i good to install em?

·
hi....
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well i installed em anyway.. hopefullly it wont do no damage...
Photobucket

Photobucket

now question is... what kinda bulb can i use for my corner light so that they do not appear yellowish? i hate that yellowish color.. kinda negates my clear corner lights i bought... i have clear bulbs in it but its still yellow tinged

·
SGM / Type F
3,653 Posts
OP...are these Hella optilux bulbs? If so I know they make them in both 55W and 80W versions. If you have a true 80W bulb (as opposed to a 55W which says it has 80W 'output') then you must upgrade yur wiring harness/connectors. The 80W will draw a lot of current and you may melt your wiring harness and connectors!!! So make sure you upgrade your wiring harness and for extra safety keep the OEM fuse. It will probably not be a problem till you start using the 80W bulbs on warm summer nights, te harnes will get very hot. First make sure your bulbs are actually 80W and not 80W 'output'. I had 80W bulbs in my old Audi's high beams (and HID for low beams) and used this info to do the wiring upgrade, not sure how easily it would translate for the Legend.

AudiWorld Forums: High beam headlight wiring upgrade info and write up. Graphics rich.

·
hi....
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
does anyone know a DIY for upgrading our wireing harness? the audi one seems real difficult... thanks

·
hi....
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OP...are these Hella optilux bulbs? First make sure your bulbs are actually 80W and not 80W 'output'. I had 80W bulbs in my old Audi's high beams (and HID for low beams) and used this info to do the wiring upgrade, not sure how easily it would translate for the Legend.

AudiWorld Forums: High beam headlight wiring upgrade info and write up. Graphics rich.
Hella Optilux XB 9006 Xenon Bulbs these are the exact ones i got.... but the thing is is it the wattage that burns the harness or the voltage... cuz its still 12v...

·
SGM / Type F
3,653 Posts
Yea those actually draw 80W, and will eventually heat your harness to melting point. Unless you're familiar with the physics of electricity the difference between volts and watts can be tricky. Simple explanation:

Watts = Amps x Volts x Length (of wiring harness)

Since these are 80W and the volts (12V) and the length/gauge of your (stock) harness is the same this means these bulbs will be drawing more power (amps) through the harness and this will cause a lot of heat to be generated through the harness. For now I would switch the 55W bulbs back in till you figure out how to upgrade the harness.

·
hi....
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea those actually draw 80W, and will eventually heat your harness to melting point. Unless you're familiar with the physics of electricity the difference between volts and watts can be tricky. Simple explanation:

Watts = Amps x Volts x Length (of wiring harness)

Since these are 80W and the volts (12V) and the length/gauge of your (stock) harness is the same this means these bulbs will be drawing more power (amps) through the harness and this will cause a lot of heat to be generated through the harness. For now I would switch the 55W bulbs back in till you figure out how to upgrade the harness.
thanks for your quick response... i found a harness Autodynamic.com but question is... how hard is it to install cuz when i was installing the bulbs theres really not that much room in there to play with.. and another thing im thinkin now is should i just say F it and get an hid kit

·
SGM / Type F
3,653 Posts
I would go HID personally. But that is the correct harness upgrade.

·
hi....
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would go HID personally. But that is the correct harness upgrade.
well i got the harness today and was gonna install it but it was way too messy and too many wires... drove 10 min to my spot and picked these up.

nice price too.. installed already but its still day so i cant take pics yet... ill take some pics of the ballasts locations too... 10000k... if anyone interested i can get you guys some too... we'll figure out a price if theres enough interest...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts