Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
hi....
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
optilux xb 80 watts (remeber to get a heavy duty harness if you install this... not worth it IMO harness = 35 bulb = 25)

Plug and play HID 10000k with ballast locations

How many people interested in these HIDs? if enuff i might be able to get a pretty good price...

·
SGM / Type F
3,653 Posts
Dude the HID looks way better than the Optilux imho!!

·
B anned (SIKE!!!)
1,757 Posts
Those optilux will melt your housing over an amount of times....

You might wanna get that ballast away from the battery...

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
HID = lower wattage (35W), brighter, longevity, no worried about melting existing wiring harness & lastly no worried about yellowing and clear coat peeling off their headlights due to high wattage bulbs.

·
Yeah BABY!
972 Posts
^^I would like to know too.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
how come? will it affect it somehow? :bigok:
Well, based on this fomular: P=I.V

P=power=wattage
I=current=amperage
V=electromotive force or potential different=voltage

When you have a 55W bulb (OEM HB) power by 12VDC then the carried current would be I=P/V or approx. 4.59A

When you have a 35W bulb (HID) the current will be decreased to approx. 2.92A

Now, when you have a 80W bulb (optilux) the current will be increases up to approx. 6.67A

Keep in mind that you have 2 optilux bulbs then the carried current will be double and the chance to get fire will be double.

Therefore, the current is proportional to the power, while having constant voltage the current goes up so does the power goes up. This will cause the original wiring harness which use to handle the OEM spec. rating to melt gradually over an amount of times. First, the insulated wire goes to the bulb sockets will get very hot when in active then cool down when inactive and so does the head light bulb sockets then later will burn up those copper wires depending on how long optilex stays on and finally you wonder why your head lights won't light up when to switch on.

^^I would like to know too.
I'd like to say for a personal references to create a good habit in electrical or electronics practices, to stay away from any harzard chemical materials when considering any electrical or electronics components near by.

·
hi....
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, based on this fomular: P=I.V

P=power=wattage
I=current=amperage
V=electromotive force or potential different=voltage

When you have a 55W bulb (OEM HB) power by 12VDC then the carried current would be I=P/V or approx. 4.59A

When you have a 35W bulb (HID) the current will be decreased to approx. 2.92A

Now, when you have a 80W bulb (optilux) the current will be increases up to approx. 6.67A

Keep in mind that you have 2 optilux bulbs then the carried current will be double and the chance to get fire will be double.

Therefore, the current is proportional to the power, while having constant voltage the current goes up so does the power goes up. This will cause the original wiring harness which use to handle the OEM spec. rating to melt gradually over an amount of times. First, the insulated wire goes to the bulb sockets will get very hot when in active then cool down when inactive and so does the head light bulb sockets then later will burn up those copper wires depending on how long optilex stays on and finally you wonder why your head lights won't light up when to switch on.
uhh you kinda lost me at "well.." but my question was to why i should move my ballast away from my battery.. and um the ballasts are connected to HID's... i got rid of the optilux bcuz the harness looks like a biatch to put on and it didnt look like it would fit in the area regardless.....

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
uhh you kinda lost me at "well.." but my question was to why i should move my ballast away from my battery.. and um the ballasts are connected to HID's... i got rid of the optilux bcuz the harness looks like a biatch to put on and it didnt look like it would fit in the area regardless.....
Safety concerned for me though (acidity), however it's OK to leave it as it is. If I were you I would move the driver side ballast to the front side of the condenser.

·
SGM / Type F
3,653 Posts
Safety concerned for me though (acidity), however it's OK to leave it as it is. If I were you I would move the driver side ballast to the front side of the condenser.
:werd: I have both ballasts mounted in front of the condenser...

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
:werd: I have both ballasts mounted in front of the condenser...
There you go, a good place for ventilation isn't it? I mean I didn't notice those ballasts even get hot eventually but on the other hand, I'd prefer to work things out in a roomy space if possible not in the crampy area if I have to ...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts