Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· NY Member
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, after reading and researching for endless months, I have decided to finally do the suspension on my car. I can't see dropping 1200 or so dollars into OEM so I am going aftermarket.

Here are my options:

1. Koni Sport Kit
2. Koni/Eibach
Distant 3rd. Koni/H&R

I want the closest to stock ride quality (mind you my current OEM shocks are BLOWN). I also want between 1.0-1.5 inch drop with my new suspension.

I've heard on here that the ride with the Koni Sport kit is good from some, really bad from others. I am afraid of installing it and hating the ride quality. I have heard the same thing about Koni/Eibach, some love it some hate it and say it is too bouncy.

But, I really like the look of the 1.1 inch drop from each of these set-ups. So, my question becomes which one offers the better (closer to stock, comfortable) ride???

In the past, people have said Koni/H&R but the drop looks too severe for me and I want something more conservative. Has anyone driven in Legends with both the Koni Sport and the Koni/Eibach that could give me a first-hand comparison???

Lastly, some threads have said that a camber kit is NOT necessary with the 1.1 inch drop. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I will get an alignment once the suspension is on.

Thanks in advance.

-Eric

· GS Hog
7,345 Posts
I've driven Legends with both Koni/Eibach and Koni/H&R combos. The difference between the two is minute if noticeable at all. I haven't driven one with the Sport Kit.

During my research into which suspension to get, I learned that ride quality is highly subjective. The only good way to get an idea of what is acceptable to you is to actually drive a car with the setup(s) in question.

When comparing pictures of the drop on the H&R vs Eibach, be sure to note which perch the particular setup is set on. A H&R drop is only 1.5", but if set on the lowest Koni perch, it will look a bit lower with the added 3/4" drop. Likewise on the Eibach.

· Registered
686 Posts
Sport kit's ride is not OEMish, on NY roads, I must say quite bumpy. I have a friend in LI who has it, and he's scared to come to Queens lol.
I have ground controls and konis on one, and H&R and konis on the other.
H&R's ride is stiffer, in my opinion.
If you want my opinion, stick to OEM suspension, if thats your daily driver!
The 2nd option would be just getting lowering springs with OEM shocks.
Konis are one of the best, but our roads are just miserable and I have replaced both my front konis one by one. Its good they have that life time warranty.
If you do wanna go that way, you can play with the perches to make sure theres no rubbing. The drop level and rubbing can be taken care of but ride quality is why I wouldn't do it.
Good Luck!

2,947 Posts
I agree with Slip, NYC roads suck period. I barely drive my Legend now (have a beater) but going over bumps/potholes with a Koni/Eibach's setup on GS rims you really feel every damn hole in street. But if you are going to do the install, I suggest not cutting the bump stops and go mid in the front and high on the rear perches.

· NY Member
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The car is my daily driver. But, I take the subway/bus to NYC each day and put less than 8-10k on my car annually. Sounds like the sport kit is out.

Is the difference in ride between Koni reds vs. OEM worth the extra 200-300 dollars?

Thanks for the informative posts so far and keep the opinions coming.

-Eric

· is gone with the wind ...
1,019 Posts
Eric, for what it's worth, I haven't ridden in either of the setups, but I put Koni reds on with my OEM springs on highest perches (at least at the moment). The ride was good, not quite as soft as OEM but close, with my 15" stock rims and H-rated Potenzas. Upon switching to my new 17" forged rims and W-rated Potenzas, holy it!, the ride got rougher by a quantum leap. I've been trying to adjust my pressure without much luck and am thinking of going to H-rated tires with a softer sidewall. Anyway, there are a LOT of variables and I'm not sure you'll get a perfect answer.

· Banned
14,938 Posts
i would have to agree i wouldn't put oem struts on loweing springs... otherway around is not bad though, i bought my legend with koni struts and oem springs and the ride was a bit lower but was nice... i went for the eibach adjustable so i can raise back up if needed and the ride is stiff but very very nice i like it alot but i do live in an area with pretty nice roads...

· Fre OG
1,258 Posts
whats everyones thoughts on GC's?

· I like shiny
14,445 Posts
I'm running Koni/Eibach, as you know. It's pretty close to the OEM feel.

Can't say yet If I need a camber kit or not. I already have the SPC Ball joint camber kit, just not installed. Shops in my area are pains in the butt. But I have an appointment on Jan. 9th to have a shop look it over to see if they'll do it. If they'll do it for a reasonable price, I'll have them do it and then align the car because they specialize in alignements.

· Registered
4,439 Posts
I would stick with OEM. Some members have run into problems with Koni durability. Although the problems that have been reported have been few and far between, I imagine a place like New York would greatly increase your chances of premature shock failure.

OEMs are $150-180/ea. without AOA discount if they are still doing that. I believe it is worth it. I assume you will use your existing springs. Changing entire shock assemblies out is not too hard, so I would say take your new shocks and old shocks with springs to a mechanic and have the new shocks fully put together, and then install the whole assemblys yourself. Would save you some money.

Or you could buy Khoerlings..

I love the way your coupe looks in your sig, the ride height is perfect.

· Registered
52 Posts
Shaylord said:
whats everyones thoughts on GC's?
I was running GC 450 front and ~300 custom coils back, konis turned full soft(full stiff 4kicks as well)and the ride still came out bouncy. It was great around corners, better than the H&R I have on now but the Legend's luxury ride was completely gone. My head was just bobbing too much for my daily 50mile commute. It smooth out somewhat if my car was loaded with adults. I'm planning on putting back oem springs on Koni's bottom perch like I have on my other ride.

· Registered
24 Posts
Ok here we go. I have koni red and eibach setup middle perch in rear lowest perch in front all set to medium setting.Big mistake for jersey and new york you bottom out and scrape all the time.The ride is very harsh. Jokers who put them on didn't know there [email protected]# at all telling me they set them to full soft.
Just yesterday went to a performance shop in rahway RAMperformance this guy is good he raised the front to middle perch and set them on full soft in one hour for $106.He made it look so easy as opposed to the jerk-offs who did the original install and took over eight hours and still messed up I had to go back cause things were loose and rattling, that was the L.A.B in linden thier closed down now wonder why? Anyway car drives so good now almost like when I got it in 98 with 48,000 miles on it and I still have'nt done the rear yet . I have to replace my rear calipers and I'm doing braided steel lines so I'll get the suspention adjusted then .I'm getting real suped my babys making a come back.So for ny/nj - koni/eibach middle perch and full soft all around you won't be disappointed for oem ride and 1inch drop all around BIG MO says so. Oh and you know the ride quality was bad when chicks would complain. a I drive in the hood man so you the streets are crappy, but this new setup just soaks it all in really good stuff. :werd:

· NY Member
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Everyone,

First let me say thanks to everyone that posted. I really appreciate the input.

Those springs that LegendToo mentioned sound nice but too hard to find.

Pat, yes it is a 4X4 now but that'll be gone soon I hope.

BIG Mo, sounds like the Koni/Eibacj setup is okay for these harsh streets. I live in a crummy part of Queens so I hope the Koni/Eibach can handle some potholes.

If I order this set-up, does anyone know what the Koni's come shipped on? Meaning, do the come middle all around, full soft? Will it be easy to figure put how to adjust it?

Pat, what settings are your struts on? Is it even all around now?

-Eric

· GS Hog
7,345 Posts
The Konis typically come set at full soft. There are only 2 perch settings up front and three in the rear. The rings should be set at the middle in the rear and top on the front when you receive it.

For instructions on adjusting the dampening, click here and scroll to the bottom set of instructions. You should also receive these instructions with your shocks.

2,947 Posts
I set my Koni's 1/4 turn around, they're great if you're driving on flat road, but I really hate driving over potholes. Arghhh.... go FULL SOFT on the Koni's!!! And don't cut your bumpstops!

· Registered
39 Posts
i once had konis with h&r springs....very nice setup...very firm...tight cornering.....i loved it....my only concern was the drop....it seemed too low...but it worked out fine...avoid potholes at all cost with any setup...

you can also try kyb struts....they were very nice...not alot of bounce in them either...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.