Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a friend with a 2001 maxima and he's on overdrive all the time, is it safe to drive a g1 in overdrive?
and if so which overdrive?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Vince is correct - the "D" selection has overdrive built in. To me, it' a fancy name for 4th gear.

·
Registered
689 Posts
overdrive = "S-mode" on legends?

i thought the overdrive for an auto legend is the S3 and S4 on the shifter, it makes it shifts gears at about 4k rpms instead of 2.5k rpms (or just longer time between gear shifts in acceleration).

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Drive = Saves Fuel, Shift Points For Fuel Conservation, 1-4th Gears and uses overdrive

S3 = Performance Gear When Accelerated, Will Shift quickly through 1st and 2nd for faster launch, will hold in 3rd, allowing car to rev longer in this gear = more power. Wastes a lot more fuel, no overdrive

S4 = Performance Gear When Accelerated, Will Shift quickly through 1st and second for faster launch, will go into 4th. Wastes more gas, no overdrive

Trust me when you smack the accelerator you DO feel the difference between S3 and regular Drive mode. "S" stands for Sport.

·
Registered
689 Posts
so...what is the definition of "overdrive"? i was assuming just different gear shifting times.

·
Registered
13 Posts
overdrive

-overdrive=>taking about gear ratio
-gear ratio = primary ring gear diameter/ secondary ring gear diameter.
-If gear ratio>1 = underdrive. The driven gear turns slower than drive gear but has greater torque.
-If gear ratio<1 = overdrive. The driven gear turn faster than drive gear but has lest torque.
Overdrive gear ratio allowed car cruise at high speed at lower motor' RPM thus save fuel.
On car with a switch to turn on/off overdrive ( Toyota...?) overdrive should be turnned off in the city and on on the freeway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts