Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently my 86 Legend Sedan Developed a small leak in the plastic pipe that connects to the lower radiator hose - I sealed that leak with no problem, but now that I have, the car still overheats!

I have made sure the cooling system is full of 50/50 coolant - And the car takes (usually) at least 15 minutes before the engine starts to heat up, but once it hits 1/4 of the way up, it only takes 30 seconds more to completely overheat.

The upper radiator hose does not seem to be hot when the car has reached max temp, but there also doesnt seem to be any pressure from the hose while the car is running. So, is this the water pump, thermostat, both, or something else? Is there an EASY way of testing what it is for sure? If the water pump is working, but the thermostat isnt, shouldnt I be able to take off the radiator cap, and wont the coolant spray out from the pressure? If it doesnt, does that mean the water pump is dead? One thing is for sure, coolant is NOT getting to the engine, and Any help woudl be greatly appreciated, I cant wait to drive my legend again!

·
Registered
270 Posts
First of all... Did you bleed the air out of the system?? Air locks will cause overheating...

When was the last time the thermostat was changed?? Probably be a good time to change it with a good quality OEM one... Just to make sure...

How did you fix this pipe?? If it got plugged, it will contribute to overheating...

The pump doesn't create the pressure, it just helps move the coolant around... It's the heat that makes the pressure... As long as the pump isn't leaking or making loud noise, it probably is not the problem!!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts