Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK today I went to acura and let them do the water pump, timing belt and thermostat. The car started to over heat yesterday. Everytime I use AC it would overheat, meaning that the temp needel went up to the line before red. I went to get my car and pay $800 cdn. After driving home the temp was normal so I shut off the car and let it sit for a while and started up again with AC on. After driving for about 1/2 an hour the car started to overheat again. I just brought the car last month and already spend nearly about 3,000 on fixing it up. Can anyone help with this.

G

·
My timing belt/water pump was changed saturday...and the guy that did it accidently bent a hose holder thing into the way of the belt. Inturn while the belt was turning it caused friction on the hose that was rubbig against it and melted a hole in it! After this happened all of my coolant spilled out through this hole and left my radiator dry!!! Check to make sure you still have all of your coolant. I was driving arround with this problem and luckily I hadn't lost enough coolant to overheat my engine...that would've been bad :(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Overheating

Hey Van...

Few quick questions -

1) Whats the mileage of your car

From my experience, head gaskets are nortorious for blowing around the 150 - 180,000 km range - it could be naytime ofcourse - just some of my friends have had it go around then - including mine!

2) Did you get a thorough inspection of the car b4 you bought it?

The thing with head gaskets is that it could be the very beginning of the leak - which translates to having your guage go up very infrequently - so even after a month you might just strt seeing symptoms - and as the leak progresses the red lining becomes more frequent

I would get the hoses, thermostat, and thermosensor checked first at the dealer - make sure they dont charge you for this since it started happening after they worked on it. Also look for any visible leaks of coolant and check the level first thing in the morning b4 starting the car.

Make sure they bleed the cooling system - but beware that if the gaskets are leaking that procedure just buys you time until air gets back in. When the car is idle, rev it up - listen for any bubbling noise from the dashboard - that might be an indication that air is in your cooling system.

If that doesnt solve the problem - and hopefully it does! - then just get a leak down test done at the dealer - cost you about $90 CAD and if it comes back ok - then at least you know you wont be spending two grand to get it fixed or buy a used engine.

But do be careful and make sure you stop and restart the car when the needle starts to creep up - usually while idle, stopped at lights... keep a close eye on the needle...

Good luck to and if u have any more questions, holla back!

:)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went back to the Dealer and let them check and it was the rad cap. It loose pressure so they gave me a new one 4 free. Everything went normal until I headed home and parked my car in the gargage and found coolant pouring down Ahhhhhhh!!!!
All the green stuff is all over the floor, I check where the leak is coming from and it was from the cooling thinggy (silver round thing under the intake pipe near the fan on the left) Whoooaaaaa thats not good. It never happen B4 when I purchase the car. The Machanics musta did something to it. So I went back again and this time I complian to them. Now Im just waiting for the result.

I ask the Machanics about the blown head gasket on my car and he told me that my HG its just fine, I do have a white smoke during cold start and 174,000kms on it. He also told me that it would runs about 5G for HG job OCHHHHHH!!!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got anwser from Acura and they told me I only have to pay for the parts (4 coolant hoses 30 bucks) and the labor is free. I went to see the car and and they took the front end apart and wait for the part to arrive tomorow so they paid for the rental car 4 me. The problem is that one of the hose is leaking but they have to replace all of them just to be sure that I dont come back again :)

Toronto_Legend whats your E-mail add? Since we both live in Canada and sometime I need some Canadian prices and question about the HG thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
acura is on crack

Hey good to know its not the hg - keep an eye out though just to be on the safe side - white smoke is tricky - harder to tell in winter - but in summer you shouldnt really have any white smoke coming out - mine had white smoke too in summer caused by burning of coolant in the engine - yikes!!! Mine had 184,000 km at that time - the temp problem drove me nuts and kinda took away from the new car experience for me - but after that it was all smooth sailing - wonderful car!

Anyways, yeah i was quoted about 4Gs to rebuild engine too by acura - freakin pple are on some serious crack there... my hg job cost me about $2300 after taxes from a small local mechanic specializing in honda - did a A1 job on it! Have to be careful who you let take apart your baby's engine!

I replaced the knock sensor and a few other items worth about $400 so thats why it came to 2300.

Good luck with your car and take good care of it - it wont let you down!

:)

·
Registered
389 Posts
please be careful.....

Please just be careful. Often white smoke never tells anything about HG condition.

To see white smoke due to bad HG, you have to really really mess up HG, meaning it is possible to have bad HG before you actually see white smoke.

Do NOT look for oil globe in water resorvoir either. That is also the same thing. Your HG can be ruined before you actually see the black oil globe in your water resorvoir either.

These are all from my own experience.

From my experience, I would tell you

1. 1 or 2 times overheating (if you shut down engine immediately) might NOT ruin your head. But seems like you overheated your engine several times, therefore,

2. Please make sure your head is really fine doing, "Pressure test", or "chemical block tester". which I believe are the only method to detect HG problem in its initial stage.

I hope yours does NOT have HG problem cause it is the real pain ether you do it yourself or you pay for someone to do it.....

Good luck!!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Van. Legend said:
I got anwser from Acura and they told me I only have to pay for the parts (4 coolant hoses 30 bucks) and the labor is free. I went to see the car and and they took the front end apart and wait for the part to arrive tomorow so they paid for the rental car 4 me. The problem is that one of the hose is leaking but they have to replace all of them just to be sure that I dont come back again :)

Toronto_Legend whats your E-mail add? Since we both live in Canada and sometime I need some Canadian prices and question about the HG thanks
I'm sorry, but this smells fishy to me.
Why did they not replace the hoses when they did all that work ?
You're getting major work done, basically ripping apart your front end. I can't believe that they did not suggest to you to change the hoses at the same time.

And why did it start leaking after they performed the service.

They're going to pay for a rental ? Damn, must be a pretty wealthy dealership. I can't remember a dealership paying for a rental, maybe loaner car, but shelling out ca$h, never seen that.

If I were you, I would start looking for another dealership. :mad:

My 2 cents.

Oh yeah, glad that they actually found the problem. ;)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Spiff!!!

Yes This Dealership is got to be the worst EVER!!!!! Talking to the front desk is useless, I personally talk to the Mechanics and he told me that its dark in the shop that he didnt see it! B.S. They replace Timing Belt, water pump, thermostat and they didnt see the hose leaking!!! What the [email protected]?? Im PISS OFF at the MAX right now with them!!!! GUESS WHAT??? They suspose to Bleed to coolant thinggy but they didnt so now Im stuck with overheating problem for couple days !!!! I went to the local Mechanics nearby and they bleed it for me for free!!!! they quoted me arround 2,000 cnd for HG job which is not bad. Now my car is getting better and doesnt overheat that much but I'll have to go back to them tomorow for check up!! Got my finger cross and hope its not the HG. Oh Yeah this dealership ran out of cars thats why they rent me a car. Last time they gave me a 2000 TL type S thats a sweet car ever!!!!

·
Registered
247 Posts
I was going through something similair as you Van. My car would start up, be fine and than the needle would start to go up towards H. At times it would go up and than go back to normal (between H and C. I replaced the thermostat myself. Did not work. I took it to the dealership and they took a look at it. They said that they replaced the thermostat and that it was fine. I drove it for about 20 minutes, no problem. Than I look down and the temperature guage is starting to do the same thing. It is going to H and than back to middle and sometimes it would stay at H for a little while. I was pissed. I drove back to the dealer and the mechanic told me that he ran it in the shop for about 3 hours and had no problem. They ran it in front of the dealership and noticed that coolant was leaking out but could not tell from where. They were telling me that it was my headgasket and that I sould just get a new engine. I was pissed because I had just got my car kitted and I got a new paintjob.
I tried bleeding the coolant and that helped for a little bit but than after driving for about an hour, the problem came back. I was getting ready to make my car disappear. I than took it to a small mechanic and he worked his magic. He did some testing and eventually just changed the thermostat housing. That was the problem. 7 months later and no problems, other than my alternator make a loud grinding type of noise (but that will be another story). If you can, have a mechanic check out the thermostat housing. It may not be the answer and I don't want you to spend money on it and find out that it was not the problem but it is something that you might want to keep in mind. You don't know how relieved I was that I found out it was not my HG. Good Luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.