Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if it is relatively easy to change the oxygen sensors myself, and what tools i would need to do the job correctly. my check engine light has been coming periodically for some time now, and it is getting annoying. thanks for the help.

91coupeLS

·
Registered
82 Posts
Its not too difficult. Its similar to changing a spark plug. You need an oxygen sensor socket to get it out. You can get them at most autoparts stores. The trick is getting the old one out. When I changed mine they were really stuck. Use liquid wrench or something. Be patient, it may require a significant amount of torque to bust it loose.

·
Registered
301 Posts
$235 CDN for 1 and you need a Left side and Right side!! (ie 2)

The engine light will stay on and upon "jumping" the service connector, it will flash a # of times indicating that that part is failing.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Spiff said:
$235 CDN for 1 and you need a Left side and Right side!! (ie 2)

The engine light will stay on and upon "jumping" the service connector, it will flash a # of times indicating that that part is failing.
I had to replace mine after my head gasket job. The dealer was going to give them to me for $190 (reg~$235 each) but my mechanic found some bosch universal ones for $150 each. The labour was about 1.5 hours. It is a tight squeeze to get out the o2 sensors and because I went with universal sensors you have to cut the factory harness and rewire the 4 wire sensor. It is imperative that you know which wires are which (hint.... owners manual electrical diagram).

The reason these sensors are so expensive is because they are heated 4 wire sensors. G1 legend have normal 2 wire sensors. They were a very hard to find tem in Canada. 1 sensor came from Toronto and 1 sensor came from Vancouver. These were the only ones I could find in Canada!!! Out of all the major parts suppliers (Auto Value Parts, NAPA, Part Source, etc) no one could had them or wanted to get them. I guess they are a rare failure on these cars and that is why they are so expensive and hard to find.

·
Registered
301 Posts
NGK, those guys who make spark plugs also have an of-shoot company, NTK.
NTK makes for our cars, but I too could not find anyone who could supply them.

Had to go with OEM. A friend who works @ Acura in parts, gave me them for around $170 each.
Like the saying goes "...it's who you know" ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.