Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or you all find the radiator hose clamps to be a Pain-In-The-As?
Went out and spend $3.00 clamps at AutoZone and replaced them. It is rediculous that these clamps required a special tool.

· Registered
876 Posts
I agree 100%. Most of the time spent on the job was getting these damn clamps off. Whats the special tool they use to remove the clamps? I'm assuming it is some sort of plier.

· EDM Honda Legend Coupe
4,675 Posts
ntujyug said:
Is it just me or you all find the radiator hose clamps to be a Pain-In-The-As?
Went out and spend $3.00 clamps at AutoZone and replaced them. It is rediculous that these clamps required a special tool.
No. A spec tool is not needed. I used always a adjustable joint pliers to take off those clamps. But you're right, because it's sometimes really a PITA.

The radiator hose is held on by a standard hose clamp which can be loosened using a plier. Take a plier, press both ends of the clamp together and slide tha clamp back down. Once the clamp is loose you should be able to encourage the hose off with gentle persistance and harsh language ;). It works always :giggle: Here are the steps...

1. Loosen the clamp securing the hose to the radiator, for example. Screw clamps must be loosened with a simple screwdriver. Spring clamps (like ours) are squeezed with hose clamps pliers.
2. Slide the clamp back along the hose, so that is out of way.
3. Mark the hose for identification when reassembling.
4. Twist the hose loose from its fitting.
5. If the hose can't be removed in this manner, cut a slit several inches long in it - beginning at the end. Then use a screwdriver to pry off the hose. Don't forget : The hose will have to be replaced ;)

This should work for you. I hope it ;) -Mike

· EDM Honda Legend Coupe
4,675 Posts
JTJohnny102 said:
instead of cutting the hose use channel locks to get a grip around part of the hose connected to whatever and just wiggle it around, clockwise, counterclockwise, it loosens it up and slides off like butta
Hi Johnny,
could you explain me what "Channel Locks" are ? I've never heard about that. OMG... :giggle: -Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.