Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Local EMT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gents, new to the boards, i inhereted a 94 legend LS and the doors seem to have faded from the acura red color to a very light red...almost pink. How much did you guys pay to have your cars re-painted. I got a quote for 5.5k, is that bull ish, or is it worth paying?

Scott

· Registered
3,012 Posts
Depends on what is involved.

A good paint job could cost anywhere from 2k-6k dpending on if you want a color change, how mnay clearcoats, wheather it's going to be wetsanded, etc.

Before I dropped 5.5k on this guy's paintjob, I'd check around and look for other cars he/his shop has done. Most good body workers have portfolios with their work....

· Registered
4,439 Posts
You can get a decent respray for 4k. 5.5k is a little steep. For 4k you should be able to find somebody to R&I everything and respray with a quality paint such as Dupont or PPG. Shop around. I found a shop that would respray for around 3.8-4k and guaranteed a better finish (less orange peel) than OEM.

· Registered
3,012 Posts
arnach said:
You can get a decent respray for 4k. 5.5k is a little steep. For 4k you should be able to find somebody to R&I everything and respray with a quality paint such as Dupont or PPG. Shop around. I found a shop that would respray for around 3.8-4k and guaranteed a better finish (less orange peel) than OEM.
Very true. My body worker quoted me $2500 for this same work.

Shop around bro, you can definately find a better deal that 5 and a half thousand.

· Registered
4,439 Posts
Nasriaz I agree with you, alot of shops will charge $5k, it is reasonable, but the same quality work can be found for $4k if one shops around enough and perhaphs makes a good impression on the proprietor.

Alot of body shop owners around here seem to have affinity for Legends. More than one had one and "had to" sell it.

2.5k, on the other hand, is too low. 2.5k covers R&I. Paint for a full job is $800-1000. So go figure. With body shops, you really get what you pay for.

· Registered
3,012 Posts
nasriaz said:
5k Contrary to what most people are saying sounds about right for a complete paintjob, wetsand, prep. But make sure you set expectations on paper before you pay. Ask him to list the products and process he plans to follow.
5.5k is a retail price I suppose. When I was shopping for paint jobs, my highest quote was 4800. That included Dupont paint, 3 coats, and then a follow up in 3 months for some more clear coat.

Point is: SHOP AROUND and DEFINATELY get a price sheet for what you're paying for. If you want to be super thrifty, try to locate the paint and materials yourself and provide them to the shop; a lot of shops won't do this because they have such a huge markup: but it's worth a try and some of the smaller paint places.

· Registered
3,012 Posts
arnach said:
Nasriaz I agree with you, alot of shops will charge $5k, it is reasonable, but the same quality work can be found for $4k if one shops around enough and perhaphs makes a good impression on the proprietor.

Alot of body shop owners around here seem to have affinity for Legends. More than one had one and "had to" sell it.

2.5k, on the other hand, is too low. 2.5k covers R&I. Paint for a full job is $800-1000. So go figure. With body shops, you really get what you pay for.
I've known the guy who was going to do my work for about 10 years. He went to highschool with the dad who I've never met-I think it was a hookup deal.

The guy has done body work out of his garage for years, and his portfolio was awesome. I saw some of his paintjobs 1st hand, months after completion and was in awe.

5k just seems too much, when these cars retail for much less than that nowadays...

· Registered
3,012 Posts
nasriaz said:
There's the key! Thats why I decided to paint her myself.
Must be nice to have not only the skill to do so, but the facility!

If I could have found a good place to do mine, I could have found more than a few friends who would have worked for beer, and done it myself.

If you did that paintjob from your thread the other day yourself, HOLY CRAP :bowdown:

· Registered
1,230 Posts
morbo said:
Must be nice to have not only the skill to do so, but the facility!

If I could have found a good place to do mine, I could have found more than a few friends who would have worked for beer, and done it myself.

If you did that paintjob from your thread the other day yourself, HOLY CRAP :bowdown:
Follow the link under my Signiture and it will show you my home made facility but it worked damn good.

I think we have officially

· Registered
3,012 Posts
You , you did that just to make me jealous :)

That is one of the best lookin paints I've seen in a while-probably since SpeedDemon did his a few years back.

And definately a thread hijack. It's what I do best :)

· Registered
623 Posts
man, a good respray should cost you no more than $2.5k-$3.5k, a great one no more than $4k-$6k. if you're looking to even out your paint job, then respraying the doors should cost you no more $800-$1k. my best advice is to shop around. if you see someone around town with a nice custom paint job, flag them down and ask them where they got it done.

good luck.

· Registered
3,012 Posts
spawn_of_stevieray said:
man, a good respray should cost you no more than $2.5k-$3.5k, a great one no more than $4k-$6k. if you're looking to even out your paint job, then respraying the doors should cost you no more $800-$1k. my best advice is to shop around. if you see someone around town with a nice custom paint job, flag them down and ask them where they got it done.

good luck.
Wow, stevie's kid. That's kind of weird :)

If he resparys just the doors, the paint on the rest of the car will porbably look really dull in comparison. Go with the respary, but asking around to people with good paintjobs is a good idea.

· Registered
3,012 Posts
Yeah a painted Legend is somethin worth showin off.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.