Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone paid to have there side moldings painted??? if so how much did they charge u ??? and i have a dark green car do guys think it would be worth it , anyone with a dark colored car do this??? i know the 2 iv seen a white and red color and it looked awesome.

G

·
I think that anybody that does this is retarded for trying to look like they have a nicer LS model :eek:. Why don't they just go and spend the money the first time?!?!?!?! ;)

·
Junior Mint
629 Posts
I'm not sure what Speeddemon is talking about either.

Anyway, since you have a GS, I assume you are talking about the bottom side skirts. I painted mine recently.

It's not too hard.

Wetsand sides.
3 coats primer
3 coats of body matched paint
3 coats clear
let dry for 48 hours
wet sand and polish

I was quoted $300 to do the job by a body shop in the past. this whole thing cost me about $40, plus a lot of labor.

My car is black, so it's not so obvious that the sides have been painted. But in the sun it's obvious. And the color is matched perfectly. I bought a can of my paint code from towerpaint.com

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
I think because he said "Side moldings" Speed assumed he had an earlier L since side moldings are usually refered to as the door moldings which where unpainted black on the earlier L models. The lower panels, or side skirts, or lower rocker panels, are what Roger si probably talking about though rigtht since all Legends after 93+ already had color matched painted side moldings.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Actually...

I Think that speedemon is being a little funny here, a little bit of sarcasm. Take a look in the legend gallery and you will see what I mean. SpeedDemon JUST got his side skirts painted and they look really good and he did it himself.

G

·
Thanks, I was starting to feel kinda bad that everyone was getting the wrong impression. I was just playing around :p.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Anyone know of a place in the Bay area (California) who can do this for me. I saw a white Legend sedan who had this done and wow did it look good..I want I want I want wife included, in fact she saw it and brought it to my attention. My car is in the shop right now and I asked them if they can but they said no because they can't garantee it so I need to go to a custom body shop.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
You can go ahead and contact: A1 AUTO AND BODY REPAIR IN Fremont. # is (510) 979-9400 and the guy's name is Manny.
Tell him the guy with 91 Legend sent you. He does a good job at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
E K said:
I'm not sure what Speeddemon is talking about either.

Anyway, since you have a GS, I assume you are talking about the bottom side skirts. I painted mine recently.

It's not too hard.

Wetsand sides.
3 coats primer
3 coats of body matched paint
3 coats clear
let dry for 48 hours
wet sand and polish

I was quoted $300 to do the job by a body shop in the past. this whole thing cost me about $40, plus a lot of labor.

My car is black, so it's not so obvious that the sides have been painted. But in the sun it's obvious. And the color is matched perfectly. I bought a can of my paint code from towerpaint.com
How much did the paint cost you, how much paint did you buy? Also what did you paint the parts with? You think a wagner power painter thing can do the job correctly? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Thanks ILOVELEGEND I'll call them, did you get yours done, how long did it take them to do it, or I should ask how long were you without your car?

·
Junior Mint
629 Posts
WhiteLegend said:

How much did the paint cost you, how much paint did you buy? Also what did you paint the parts with? You think a wagner power painter thing can do the job correctly? Thanks!
$25, including shipping. An expensive can of spray paint, but it's 100% matched to the original paint.

I did spray painting. I'm sure you can do a better job with a power painter.

·
Registered
66 Posts
E K, SpeedDemon, or anyone else- When you paint the skirts do you remove them from the car or just mask off everything. Did you paint in a booth, outside or in a garage?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
E K said:

$25, including shipping. An expensive can of spray paint, but it's 100% matched to the original paint.

I did spray painting. I'm sure you can do a better job with a power painter.
One can did the whole thing? How big is one can?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I just finished painting my side skirts and both bumpers on my white sedan, and it looks awesome. It gives the car a lower appearance, made my rims look bigger, and made it more sporty. I will post pics once I get my hands on my friends digital camera. I bought a ton of small cans of FROST import white from Duplicolor at my local Kragen. (They dont make bigger cans...so I ended up using like 12 of the things). Then I applied 3 coats of clearcoat...

under $50 for everything I believe...and well worth the time I spend doing it.

G

·
Sparky said:
E K, SpeedDemon, or anyone else- When you paint the skirts do you remove them from the car or just mask off everything. Did you paint in a booth, outside or in a garage?
I took my skirts off the car, but I still had to mask off the whole car because I wanted to paint the parts that are on the door too. I did mine just in a garage. Normally I would do it in a Paint booth, but since they are such a low part on the car dust didn't concern me to much. I didn't really end up getting any dust anyways.

I used real DuPont Chromabase paint, with a midcoat and Clear also. This gives it the perfect perfect stock look.

Is it possible to achieve this look with spray paint?

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
George,

believe me 1 can of paint is more that enough. I had at least half a can left over when I did mine. I am redoing them soon(to have the car look decent until I get my kit)

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Blo said:
George,

believe me 1 can of paint is more that enough. I had at least half a can left over when I did mine. I am redoing them soon(to have the car look decent until I get my kit)
sweet, you guys just convinced me to do mine this summer. I'll probably do it after I get the rust fix, who knows when that will be.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
WhiteLegend said:

sweet, you guys just convinced me to do mine this summer. I'll probably do it after I get the rust fix, who knows when that will be.
Probably winter time ;)

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
Sparky said:
I had mine painted on my 93 LS Coupe. It was totally removed from the car, preped and painted in a paint booth.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts