Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
TEXAS PSYCO
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched well and cannot find a diy on painting your taillights from the INSIDE. I just picked up 2 cans of testors candy red paint and have a spare set of taillights on hand. If im going to do this mod, im gonna do it right. Ha anyone pulled their tails apart and painted from the inside?????

·
Dont Catch
4,408 Posts
thats how i did my tailights the 2nd time around.

took off the tailights and stuff. baked them in the oven for 5 mins and pry'ed the lenses up slowly and re-heating it again in the oven for a couple more mins until it came off.

then i used some painters tape to tape off the amber section. and i did light coats of the testors.

i let it dry and put back the lenses onto the tailights.

one thing you have to be careful is not to put too much pressure on the lenses when its hot... otherwise you may cause it to bend.

·
TEXAS PSYCO
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats how i did my tailights the 2nd time around.

took off the tailights and stuff. baked them in the oven for 5 mins and pry'ed the lenses up slowly and re-heating it again in the oven for a couple more mins until it came off.

then i used some painters tape to tape off the amber section. and i did light coats of the testors.

i let it dry and put back the lenses onto the tailights.

one thing you have to be careful is not to put too much pressure on the lenses when its hot... otherwise you may cause it to bend.
What temp??? how did you put it back together? seal?

·
Dont Catch
4,408 Posts
200-250 max

to put it together i just lined up the lenses and put it back in the oven.

once the adhesive was gooey i pushed the lenses back into place.

and like i said definitely dont push on the center of the tailights... (the turn signal part or else its going to bend)

and you could use clear silicone... a thin layer on the seams where the lens meets the housings.

·
TEXAS PSYCO
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's working!!!!!!!! How bout the paint process? any tips???

·
TEXAS PSYCO
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you have to pull out the reverse clear plastic to paint the amber ? paint just the amber not the red right??

·
Outta GT
393 Posts
Did you have to pull out the reverse clear plastic to paint the amber ? paint just the amber not the red right??
Just tape off the clear (I also used tape and printer paper to shield the rest of the main lenses) reverse part, and spray the amber only! < How I did mine!
Follow bl420 painting tips. Please save yourself some grief, do not attempt pulling out the clear reverse lenses. :)

·
TEXAS PSYCO
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a paint and body guy that says i should paint the entire lens, not the reverse, red then profesinaly clear coat the whole lense outside, including the reverse. says he can make it shine like OEM. what ya think, inside VS. pro outside?

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I have a paint and body guy that says i should paint the entire lens, not the reverse, red then profesinaly clear coat the whole lense outside, including the reverse. says he can make it shine like OEM. what ya think, inside VS. pro outside?
:bs:
Waste of monies!
Don't even bother putting a clear coat on the outside.
You aren't even applying paint to it--why bother to try and make it even more shiny? I'm sure they look fine as it is anyway. Are they especially dull for some reason?

·
Banned
2,425 Posts
any pix of the completed process (painting from the inside)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
OP, wouldn't you mind using the easier simplier red vinyl film instead of going though all of these hard work painting process? The red vinyl film stayed very well on the clean lenses after it dried out, I had it on my tail lights for over 6 months now w/o any peelings at all.

·
TEXAS PSYCO
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OP, wouldn't you mind using the easier simpler red vinyl film instead of going though all of these hard work painting process? The red vinyl film stayed very well on the clean lenses after it dried out, I had it on my tail lights for over 6 months now w/o any peelings at all.
I like projects. I enjoy the time and experience i get working on my car. I wanted to paint because i knew i could do it well and i wanted a more permeant solution. I decided to paint the OUTSIDE of the lens masking off just the reverse. I used 2 3-oz cans of testors paint and they look very nice. They have a orange peal look to them right now but tomorrow i will wet sand and have them professionally cleared. They should come out looking OEM shinny! I'll post some pics soon.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Much respect and understand your dedicate works stella!!! Looks forward to see the final out come product.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts