Acura Legend Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Page

jason520 said:

Are you asking me? I used transparent black so the light would shine through. I don't see how the light can even get through if you use a touch up paint designed to be opaque. I also wouldn't have the first idea on how to do this, either. I used about 4-5 coats (can't remember) of the transparent paint and then 2 coats of gloss.

Let me know if I can be of any more help...

Oh yeah, btw, what would you use to clear coat the paint after you paint it? I'm thinking about doing this again, but want it to be permenant this time

Later...

j520
Clear coat that I used on opaque paint.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I got mine from NAPA auto parts, but they mix paints there. For instance, I told them I needed YR503M and they just mixed up the color of my car. I bought the clear coat from them.

·
Premium Member
9,167 Posts
NDEMAND said:
That Legend is outstanding, but do you ever have trouble with the police?
only once. He was fine after I showed him the 3rd brake light on the spoiler. He gave me a verbal warning on the turn signals, I wet sanded some more after that.

PS. This is not temporary, If you spray any kind of paint on those taillights, it will never look the same.

·
Premium Member
9,167 Posts
slightly dim with just the park lights on, but you can see it pretty good. The taillights are pretty bright when they're lit up. The only problem I had was during the day, that's when they're a little too dark.

·
:)
436 Posts
Here is another pic. I did the same thing to my last legend as well only it was mica blue, it looks real nice on dark cars like luvmylegend's

I'll post the other pic from my last legend later, the only pic I have that shows it is from when I totaled it :( but you can see the tails real good. The last one was crashed in 00 :(:(:(:(:(

·
Registered
397 Posts
This is what I did last week. I made a combination of clear coat and my body color to do this. You can see the side view in my sig, but it turned out tight... Just waiting to get pulled over :D

Attachments

·
Registered
397 Posts
LEgEnD4LiFe said:
lol wow that certainly looks different..................it looks like you dont even have tail lights! lol the painted part looks like a regular body panel on the car, in that pic................
can u get more pics, some showing more of da car or from farther away?
No need, they will still look the same. The point was to take out the red9messed up my color scheme) and that was exactly what I accomplished. Even from a distance, the tail lights still look like a body panel until I step on my brakes. That ws my intention. Now, the question is, do my brake light show through enough. The answer is yes. So how did I acomplish this... well I did something the people at NAPA auto's paint department told me couldn't be done. I asked them if I could make a mixture of YR-503M (My body color rosewood brown) and clearcoat, along with the proper basecoat and activators to make a clearcoat/body colored solution. They laughed and said it couldn't be done. [MISTAKE] They told me the combination would curdle from the mixture of paint, basecoat, clearcoat and activator [MISTAKE #2] They said even if I could get the mixture to stay stable, because I was using opaque paint, the lights would not shine through [THREE STRIKES YOU"RE OUT!]. I should NEVER be challenged by ANYONE to accomplish ANYTHING!!! So, I made it happen. You got a pic of your taillights?

·
Premium Member
9,167 Posts
pjslegend said:
Here is another pic. I did the same thing to my last legend as well only it was mica blue, it looks real nice on dark cars like luvmylegend's

I'll post the other pic from my last legend later, the only pic I have that shows it is from when I totaled it :( but you can see the tails real good. The last one was crashed in 00 :(:(:(:(:(
I always wondered something PJ, Why does your fuel door look like a different color in pics? Chameleon paint?

·
Registered
158 Posts
He covered it in carbon fiber material.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I did mine on my CRX with a real light even coat of spray tint. I used some 600 grit and sanded off all the DOT lettering while sanding down the lense. Then put on a real light coat of the tint. After it dried, I sprayed about 4 coats of clear to give it some depth. I let that dry for a day then sanded it with some 1500 grit, then polished to a shine. The pics do not do it justice.. Even in any light... they looked tinted.. not blacked out.

And me whoring out the pic of tthe CRV cluster I put in

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.