Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greets,

I am repainting my 91 LS Coupe from forest green to Metallic Blue. Where can I get the paint for less? What brand do you guys recommend? How many gallons will I need to repaint the whole car? What do you guys think about metallic blue Legend?

G

·
Can't 1 Gallon repaint a whole car (I'm not 100% sure on this one). You are also going to need clear, activator, basemaker, and something else if I remember right. I would get DuPont if I were you. It's real good stuff. I'm repainting my car in pieces, and I'm using that stuff right now and love it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
are you painting this yourself? if youre getting someone to do it, they can answer your questions. i just got mine painted with DuPont chromabase... but i had a deal w/ the painter and supplier, so i cant tell you an accurate price. youre also going to have to pay for other things... and make sure its done right. when doing a base/clear, if things are messed up... it can peel real easily.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am having someone doing it for me, he is a professional (friend of a friend). He said to supply the material. Labor he said is going to be $300-$400. I am not sure what to get or what the quanity is. How much it would cost. I am totally new to this. Thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
ask him... some painters wont paint w/ certain paints, or only use certain primers. i learned theres a huge difference for each painter and their materials. i had to ask the guy what primer he wanted us to use, and we just went to the supply store and got it. it also depends on how many coats of paint you want.... but mainly TALK TO THE PAINTER.

·
Registered
760 Posts
LEGbEND said:
ask him... some painters wont paint w/ certain paints, or only use certain primers. i learned theres a huge difference for each painter and their materials. i had to ask the guy what primer he wanted us to use, and we just went to the supply store and got it. it also depends on how many coats of paint you want.... but mainly TALK TO THE PAINTER.
how far are you with your legend? damn jackasses! bumper cars should NOT be played in parking garages. got any updated pics?

-brandon

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
As already mentioned, you need to speak with whoever is going to paint the vehicle. The issue is in terms of compatibility which is best achieved by using only one product line and not mixing mfgrs. I cannot recommend Dupont. Had problems with early fading (drk blue) and chaulking (silver). I have had the best results with Sikkens. The problem with changing colors is door openings, hood/trunk openings, and engine bay. The gallon should do it. Again, depends upon number of mils and amt of surface. Cost depends upon mfgr, color, and type of paint. Best to buy more than you need rather than several quarts which may not have been formulated at the same time. If you have to use more than one container, mix all of the paint together. Whoever is going to "shoot" should be well aware of how to mix, and apply the base/clear. One of the more important ?'s is who is going to "prep" the vehicle? There are several stages involved and these must be performed correctly in order to ensure adhesion and limit possibility of paint defects. Your questions are of much concern to me. This is not the time to be performing a first time repaint in your garage. For information, go to your local library and look for books pertaining to Autobody Repair or Painting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts