Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many people here have had their Legends lower black body trim painted? I'd like to know how what the proper procedure was because I plan on getting mines painted when I get my Legend painted because I want it to match the upper body of the car. I have a 93 LS sedan. I basically don't want the paint to scrape up and get damaged thats why I wanna know what some paint shops use to protect it.

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
As for teh lower trim in the back bumper, and front lower lip, the procedure is the same as if they are painting the entire bumper since it is the same matirial. Brand new OEM bumper covers come unpainted, to a shop would have to paint the enitre piece even for the LS models.

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh ok thanks chris. So I'm guessing that the same procedure should be performed when painting the side skirts as well?

G

·
Yeah I was going to get the sideskirts painted on my coupe but i'll wait. I know they would have to strip the coating off the black trim to insure the paint to stick..

G

·
Yeah I'm gonna do this pretty soon all the way around the car. I already did it with my front bumper, and the rest should really finish the look of Zelda off ;).

I just can't decide whether to paint the mud flaps too, any thoughts?

·
Registered
655 Posts
nawww......

mud flaps r black for a reason, maybe get new ones if theyre faded. And they prolly would chip and look worse.

p.s. didnt mean to sound cock:)

G

·
I'll probably just leave the mud flaps un painted because the will probably be touching speed bumps and stuff once I lower my legend next month. That would suck to have the paint get chipped off, I wouldn't want to risk it.

·
Registered
655 Posts
plus they will look dirtier

plus paint wont flex with flap. when I bought my car the owner just changed mud flaps, and they look tight(black car), but skirts r faded, when i get my side rearview mirrors panted Im gonna paint skirts.

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey speedDemon, did you paint the front bumper yourself or did you have a shop do it for you? As far as the mudflaps, i'm gonna paint mines white (color of my car) and just buy an extra set of mudflaps just to have in case I wanna change them around.

·
Banned
2,260 Posts
If you guys get your lower rockers and front bumpers painted. Make sure you tell the paint shop to use a special solvent to strip all the armoral and silicon base products off, Armoral, formula 2001, etc.. . Also, have them use at least 3 to 4 coats of clearcoat. This will save it from chipping. Now for you guys with the coupes. Open your door and feel under the bottom of the door. You'll notice that there is a little rubber piece that flexes a little. That will be a challenge for most paint shop. And in my opinion, just remove the mud flaps.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
SpeedDemon said:
Yeah I'm gonna do this pretty soon all the way around the car. I already did it with my front bumper, and the rest should really finish the look of Zelda off ;).

I just can't decide whether to paint the mud flaps too, any thoughts?

Don't do the mudflaps...You'll scratch them up and then the paint will chip...Trust me, I guarantee yours already have some scratch to them....I honestly like G2s with the bottom black part black and not colored....But if I was forced to do it, I wouldn't paint the mudflaps, for the reason I already stated and b/c it looks better IMO.....

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So does anyone have pics of a G2 with a painted lower body trim but with no mudflaps? I've seen a few white G2 Sedans around where I live with the whole bottom trim painted including the mudflaps and they seemed to be alright. I guess it depends on how good a job the paint shop does it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts