Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While having body repair done to my accord, I inquired upon having my Milano Red lower molding painted to match the body color. The owner of the shop stated he would not want to perform such a job. His primary issue is due to the plastic having a protective coating that prevents rock chipping. He went on to state that he was sure painting over this coating would cause chipping.

Those who have their stock molding painted are you finding this to be the case? If not, was there a special prep process? And what was the cost?

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
Well, I never knew about this protective coating on the plastic, but that is why a body shop needs to prep that part before they paint. If it does indeed have a coating on it, then they should strip it off before they paint. By the way, if you noticed the 94-95 LS Coupes have OEM painted lower skirts. I'm pretty sure that if you damaged yours and needed a new OEM part, it would NOT come painted just like the bumpers. So if you are really worried about it, you can buy one for a 94-95 LS Coupe, and have those painted. I assume you have a 94-95 Coupe since you mentioned Milano Red. Anyway, I had my 93 LS Coupe lower panels painted all around, and I have had absolutely no chiping or peeling problems for over 2 years now. The first time my body shop did it, it did not come out as good as they had hoped, so they redid it for me without me asking, and before I even knew it was done, and it came out perfect. Looking at my painted 93 skirts, and my OEM painted 95 LS skirts, I can't tell the difference in workmanship.

So, the bottom line is, yes, it can be painted, but the prework needs to be done properly. But heck, I've only had mine for a little over two years, so maybe your body shop likes a garantee of 5-10 years.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True, I appreciate the input. Yeah, this guy promotes himself as a perfectionist. I will further investigate the feasibility of having my current 95L skirts painted elsewhere. I will also look into the pricing for the 94-95LS skirts vs. a modest kit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts