Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all

i got some questions about painting parts of the car. i just got some fiberglass eyelids for the legend. i went to the local shop and they told me they'd charge 75 bucks to paint them, which i think is a rip since the eyelids themselves were cheaper than that. they're not big parts of the car, and i think that if i could do it myself, it'd be a lot cheaper. should i give it try? all i would have to do is put some primer on it, and then maybe spray paint the same color using the color code of my car. btw, are the color codes created by acura only, or are they universal so that if i told some guy that i wanna buy car paint in the color of G-75M (my color), he'd have the exact color waiting for me?

now painting the bottom molds myself, that's something i'll leave to the professionals. too big of a job, and layering would be visible. but as far as eyelids go, they're small, so am i right in thinking that i can paint these things myself? thanks!

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
The only aftermarket paint of which I am aware that might be available is by Duplicolor. But even then you must add the cost of cleaning agents, primer, paint and clear. Automotive paint is sold by the can to be sprayed. Any paint supplier has the formulas, although some mfgrs formulas are closer to OEM than others. A bodyshop really doesn't want to have to mix a small batch and apply as time is money and refinishing a pair of eyelids will be a pain in the posterior. Frankly, I am surprised that some facility was even interested in doing the work. Paint labor rates in my area are about $40 hr. The $75 is not a low price, but not excessive either.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
but painting the eyelids myself shouldn't be too difficult right? after all, all i'm doing is putting on primer and then spraying it. where can i get car paint and primer?

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
In order to paint your eyelids you are going to need a compressor (with H20 filter) and spray gun (preferably a touch-up gun). Paint is sold by the can and needs to be reduced. You also need a filler/primer and the clear (with its reducer) as well as a degreaser. If the eyelids were constructed of fiberglass fabric, the weave might be visible and thus require additional refinishing. I have yet to see a "homemade" part which was perfect and didn't need some work. As you can see, the cost of materials begin to mount. Any automotive paint can be purchased from your local autobody supplier. Smallest amt will be a quart.

·
*r**h *eller
1,920 Posts
You could use the small spray cans such as Dupli Color but may not have an exact color match for your car. Carefull surface prep and several very light coats of primer and color are needed for best results.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Most paint shops can mix a spray bomb for you ... about $10, and it's a spray can, but with what ever colour you need. It's not the best solution (it is a spray can after all) but it does a decent job. We fixed a friends door with these, and some clear-coat it looked decent (on a **** ass camaro, anyway).

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dupli color has every color from acura EXCEPT mine (G-75 M metallic canterburry green)...do i have some rare color or somethin?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts