Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this question has been aswered before, but I'm looking for a reason not to do it. My coupe is white with the black molding and I'd like very much to get it matched to the boby of the car. I know some of you have already done this and I'd like to hear what you have to say about it. Is it holding up, was it worth it, can you wax the new molding, etc....

G

·
There is no reason not to do it. The 94 and 95 LS models came with the skirts painted and it has stuck over time so there is no reason that with the proper prep work you can't do it too. I have done it to my car and it worked out just fine and has been fine for the last year.

·
Banned
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SpeedDemon said:
There is no reason not to do it. The 94 and 95 LS models came with the skirts painted and it has stuck over time so there is no reason that with the proper prep work you can't do it too. I have done it to my car and it worked out just fine and has been fine for the last year.
thank you sir. I had a feeling you'd be the first to answer my post. I'm going to go through with here real soon. thx :)

·
LEGEND
904 Posts
SpeedDemon said:
I have done it to my car and it worked out just fine and has been fine for the last year.
Hey SpeedDemon, did you do it with it on your car? or did you take it off? What steps exactly did you take to get this done, i'm looking into doing it to my sedan as well, thanks in advance :)

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
Take it off the car for the best results. IMHO, there is no easy way to properly prep the plastic while it is on the car. I did mine through my boby shop, and it was done in 1999 and so far it is still flawless. IMHO of course :) I yea, so far no chipping or peeling. If done right, it will last just as long as any painted bumper.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I myself also have a body shop at school that is available to me, can you explain your step by steps on painting the molding / bumper? i have a white 91 sedan and i'm planning on painting it but i'd like to see if i could do it myself.

G

·
I'm in High school as well and do all my work for the most part in body shop. Yes, take the side skirts off. it makes it much easier. In the case of the front and rear bumpers, you will probably want to take those off as well. I suggest that you invest in a Helm manual. Once you have one you will find yourself fixing tons of little random things that you wanted to before but weren't 100% sure on how to do it. They have everything down to the last bolt and nut. I just wish sometimes that there were better directions for things, but I have so far done a complete suspension upgrade, camber kits, and removed many panels, etc. using this book with no prior experience.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
A white vehicle would be almost the ideal one in which to paint the lower trim. I would suggest that you have clear chip guard applied to the panels after being painted/cleared. The chip guard will provide some additional paint protection as it remains somewhat elastic. As it becomes impacted by road debris, it will be less noticeable on a light vehicle.

The major problem will be in removing all contaminants (esp silicone/wax) from the trim prior to painting.

·
LEGEND
904 Posts
Could someone with one of those Manuals lol do me a HUGE favor and post how to remove the side and rear lower trim from a 94 sedan? or you can scan the page and link it, thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
The guy who owned my car before me had the whole car painted, and when it was at acura on monday, I asked if I could go have a peek underneath, as I had never seen underneath the car before.

When I looked underneath, I could see that all the paint on the bottom of the plastic was coming off....... I dunno what he did or what to do about it, but whatever I guess:rolleyes:.... I will have to live with it.

Just warning you guys of what may happen.... I am not sure if the painter or owner new of the issues about the plastic.:eek:

G

·
Mckenzie93 said:
Just warning you guys of what may happen.... I am not sure if the painter or owner new of the issues about the plastic.:eek:
There are no issues. You just have to sand it very well which the guy probably didn't do since he figured that it was just the bottom of the car anyways.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Even if the panels were properly prepared, the lower panels are "sandblasted" by road debris. It is just a matter of time. That is why most lower panels are color-impregnated plastic and not just painted. So you may have to repaint them every 3 yrs?

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
LPB said:
Even if the panels were properly prepared, the lower panels are "sandblasted" by road debris. It is just a matter of time. That is why most lower panels are color-impregnated plastic and not just painted. So you may have to repaint them every 3 yrs?
That is true, but once you get the prep done it should be good. When my shop first did mine in 99, they had to redo them just for the reason you stated. They said it the road debris caused some imperfection. However, the they did redo it and it has been perfect since. This is already just about 3 years, and there is no chips or peeling at all yet. I predict that if I don't scratch it, it should easily last 5 more years. This is on my 93 that was painted in 99, and it had about 55K miles at the time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
that's one tight car 91bulldog

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
unless you get it professionally done, it will not last forever. It will start to come off unless you coat it more than four times along with a numerous amounts of clear coat. I did mine, and it lasted for a good two years before peeling. It's not major peelage, but it's noticeable from a few feet away.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.