Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for those who have G2's with the outer chrome piece of the grille being shiny plastic, how many of you have painted it to match your car color like the GS and 94-95 coupes? i was at home depot today thinking about buying some paint to paint that part, but i'm not sure if i need to use specific car paint with primer, clear coat, etc etc because it's just a piece of plastic, not actual car metal. anybody with info please PM or post back thanks

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had mine done professionally when I got some other light body work done. Not overly thrilled with the job though. The grill is very noticable, so any mistakes are pretty glaring.
You will need to remove the grill, carefully take it apart (watch where the gasket lies), clean wax and stuff off each square inch, lightly sand (150-300 grit paper) each square inch, paint the grill pieces from several angles to get into the corners and slats, sand with 600 grit, paint again, wait two days then multiple coats of wax then re-assemble the parts.
Sound like a lot of work? It is. If you want the job done right you probably can't pay a pro enough to take all that time for such a small area and intricate assembly. I do recommend tackling this yourself and taking all the extra time to do it right. Worse case, you pay someone to re-paint your mess. :p

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what kind of paint should i use? do i just take it apart and spray it like i would anything? b/c this isn't metal or anything; it's just a piece of plastic. is primer and clear coat required? also could i go about using outdoor paint that they sell at home depot or should i buy car paint?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Those are kind of your decisions. I have had great luck with polypropylene paint from Home Depot but it only comes in a few standard colors. One may match your car but I doubt it. There are even shades of black and white! You can buy the "duplicolor" paint at the car parts store in the spray can. It should match best. The whole sanding process eliminates the need for priming. I am not a fan of clear paint. To me it is just another opportunity to screw up the job. I prefer to wax after the paint has cured a couple of days. Don't rush this and remember that the material (paint and sand paper) is the cheapest part of the job. Your time and satisfaction with the job when finished are worth much more than an extra 5 bucks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.