Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
well whats the problem? is your window sticking going up and down? if so it could be your window seal. does it just not work at all? if so do you hear the motor running. if not check your wiring and make sure the exterior door harness isn't corroded(salt and dirt get in there if you dont have a wheel skirt). a bad regulator can go bad and look fine, or it could bind and have bent arms.

·
SGM / Type F
3,699 Posts
And a simple lubing of the regulator does wonders too with no disassembly other than popping the panel off. If the regulator arms are bent you can see that pretty easily as well.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I have tried the whole silicon spray on my driver's door side window channels. Window roll up fast for a few minutes but then return to ssslllooowww.

I can see it binding...maybe I need a different silicon spray (I used a spray dry wax lubricant that is safe for seals/o-rings, etc.) ???

Samblaze & Chapman - So did you lube the regulator with the same silicon spray?...or actually grease it?

Thanks,
John

·
SGM / Type F
3,699 Posts
Sometime siliconing the channels is not enough. I used white lithium grease (good for metal to metal apps) on all the moving parts of the regulators in my Saab and Legend. On the Legend I popped off the door panel and took out the glass (to avoid grease smears) and I packed/taped old newspaper behind/under the regulator and used a fine tip sprayer (aka a little red plastic straw) for the grease to avoid overspray and making a mess inside the door. Rubbing alchohol works great to clean off any excess. On the Saab I had to remove the regulator, clean it with brake fluid, then use WD40, let it dry and finally use lithium grease. Now they both work great!

·
Dont Catch
4,530 Posts
I have tried the whole silicon spray on my driver's door side window channels. Window roll up fast for a few minutes but then return to ssslllooowww.

I can see it binding...maybe I need a different silicon spray (I used a spray dry wax lubricant that is safe for seals/o-rings, etc.) ???

Samblaze & Chapman - So did you lube the regulator with the same silicon spray?...or actually grease it?

Thanks,
John
you're just lubing up the run channel..

the regulator assembly is something different, if you pop your door panel off you'll see. you should lube the track where the arm slides on and the gear of the regulator.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since you could move the window side to side, you may just need to tighten up the bolts.
which bolts? anyone have a link to that helm page?

and lets say I get in there and its not just a simple unlubed channel what is the cause of an actual bad window regulator?

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
There are more than one thing that can go bad on regulators. I just spoke with a guy whose spring broke and blew off inside his door. On others, one of the plastic pieces will break/crack and the joint will come off. And then there some where the motor just gets weak.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Tried a different spray-Gunk's Liquid Wrench White Lithium Grease

I guess I was not using the correct stuff on my Window Channels. I kept on noticing the windows worked fine for a few minutes after spraying silicone spray in the channels (not WD40), but when it "dried" the windows slowed again. Samblaze's post made me think. I purchased Gunk's Liquid Wrench White Lithium Grease and carefully sprayed in the 2 side channels. The window is opening and closing nice and fast now for a few hours (the other sprays I tried only lasted 2 minutes). This is a messier spray than the others, because it solidifies, so I had a rag around the red tube to catch any "splash" and then removed any excess after runing the window up and down a few times. It is working great so far, I will move on to the regulator only if necessary. Thanks.

EDIT - 2 Weeks later - DO NOT USE THIS STUFF on the channels. It got hot out and the grease transformed into a very sticky substance. Had to re-clean the channels and start over.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Appears from his above post that Samblaze used a spray on white lithium grease (probably similar to what I used for the channels???...Gunk's Liquid Wrench White Lithium Grease - $3.88 at Lowe's - sold near the WD-40)

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Appears from his above post that Samblaze used a spray on white lithium grease (probably similar to what I used for the channels???...Gunk's Liquid Wrench White Lithium Grease - $3.88 at Lowe's - sold near the WD-40)
does this come out thick enought to lube the channels of the regulator? I can understand this spray for the window channel but I want to put quite alot of the regulator track. I was thinking something in a tube. How thick does it come out?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Sorry, I have not taken my door apart to see the regulator. So I can not give a precise answer for you. But this "spray" I used on the channels is not a liquid. It solidifies, but it is not as thick at stuff in a tube.

Howver, Sam's post above says he used the red straw, so makes me think this is what he used.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I took the regulator out today and it look pretty good the nylon contacts were intact and not loose and everything was kinda lubed I lubed everything up though and that didnt do much of a difference. The window seemed really tight in the channel as I moved it up and down with my hand while it was not attached to the regulator. I lubed up the channels and it works alot better now but im not convinced that this is the problem, I mean it works perfect now but I feel like the channels are to tight on the window or something I dont think that those rubber channels are ment to be lubed. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
did you test the motor while you had it out? (just plugged it in and ran it up and down)

Could be a dying motor with some life left to it...I had one slowly die on me like that. I replaced the motor and prob. solved. (that was after I lubed up the tracks and channel)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.