Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the little I've watched this show, what amazes me is that they take a piece of junk car, put a whole lot of time and money into it, turn it into something that only a mother could love and wind up with a worthless, piece of junk car. It would be interesting if they were honest about what they spent on the car.
 

·
Victory is fleeting...
Joined
·
5,414 Posts
I've stopped watching the show. It was amusing at first, but why the hell would I ever care about having an aquarium in my car or an f'ing bubble-making machine?

Some of the stuff they do is cool, and they prove that basically no car is hopeless if you want to restore it. But I would very much like to know exactly how much time and money they put into the cars they fix up.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,371 Posts
Roger said:
i mean they say most of the time they spejnhd 30-40 grand are u saying thats not honest?? be serious that a crazy amount of money plus they have an unlimited budget.
at first i thought 30-40k was wishful thinking but i started to think about it...and it does sound about right. especially with rims and the sound system and body work that they do. im pretty sure all the stuff they use is high end and not some wal-mart stuff.
 

·
know 'm ool
Joined
·
1,399 Posts
30-40k might be about right, if you include their normal salary, and labor costs,
but over half of what they do is just labor so it's kinda hard to figure, so not taking that into account, i'd say they might put around 10k worth of stuff actually in your car and the rest would be labor costs

and since they are on TV, i would think that companies might even PAY THEM to use their products, and advertise them on TV, so really it doesn't cost them anything at all. Plus i'm sure MTV makes it worth their time to do these cars for "free"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
oldacura said:
It would be interesting if they were honest about what they spent on the car.
Sometimes you have to read between the lines and pay close attention to what is really being said. If you notice, they may say something like,"Best Buy has hooked you up with this so-and-so mp4" or something to that effect. Advertisers and marketing directors have discovered the power of Hip-Hop and it's multi-bilion dollar influence on the coveted 18-34 year old target market. It benefits companies much more to give away some free product in return for the mention of where it came from and maybe how much it cost than to run what's obviously a biased ad that more and more is showing to be not as effective. This way you see the endless possiblities. Same thing with Oprah giving away the Pontiacs. Oprah didnt buy those cars, Pontiac is trying to drum up business for the G6.
There was an interesting article on the show in last months FHM magazine. I think the show is entertaining and interesting. I take it for face value, entertainment. It's not as serious as some other car makeover shows, but definitely more interesting. It's just entertainment and I believe it's Mtv's number one rated show.
My only gripe is that when they did the Legend, it was the worst job ever. Get a look at the wheel work. The calipers and rotors and stuff looked horrible under those chrome wheels. And the car was just real tacky.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,657 Posts
That sedan looked awful, if you know anyone with a jacked up G2 Coupe or Sedan, send them a letter, maybe they'll do a better job on the G2s.

That car had no real love, the interior looked plasticky, the bumpers didn't mold well at all, the rims LOOKED AWFUL. There's just so many other paths they could've taken...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
ABSOWOOTWEE! I sold the first new RL to leave the Acura store in Cary NC, in the midst of a snow storm no less. But I really wish Acura hadn't changed the name. We started telling people right away that "RL" stood for replacement Legend. The RL is a nice ride, but I'll stick with my '90L for as long as she runs, which has been for 212K so far with no major problems.
 

·
I like shiny
Joined
·
14,385 Posts
mikemike71 said:
Sometimes you have to read between the lines and pay close attention to what is really being said. If you notice, they may say something like,"Best Buy has hooked you up with this so-and-so mp4" or something to that effect. Advertisers and marketing directors have discovered the power of Hip-Hop and it's multi-bilion dollar influence on the coveted 18-34 year old target market. It benefits companies much more to give away some free product in return for the mention of where it came from and maybe how much it cost than to run what's obviously a biased ad that more and more is showing to be not as effective. This way you see the endless possiblities. Same thing with Oprah giving away the Pontiacs. Oprah didnt buy those cars, Pontiac is trying to drum up business for the G6.
There was an interesting article on the show in last months FHM magazine. I think the show is entertaining and interesting. I take it for face value, entertainment. It's not as serious as some other car makeover shows, but definitely more interesting. It's just entertainment and I believe it's Mtv's number one rated show.
My only gripe is that when they did the Legend, it was the worst job ever. Get a look at the wheel work. The calipers and rotors and stuff looked horrible under those chrome wheels. And the car was just real tacky.
Well said. And you know they are gettin paid nicely by MTV. Their new shop is MUCH bigger-who knows maybe MTV paid for the new shop to make them do more shows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,043 Posts
Road Rat said:
ABSOWOOTWEE! I sold the first new RL to leave the Acura store in Cary NC, in the midst of a snow storm no less. But I really wish Acura hadn't changed the name. We started telling people right away that "RL" stood for replacement Legend. The RL is a nice ride, but I'll stick with my '90L for as long as she runs, which has been for 212K so far with no major problems.
Congrats on the sale! Im a big fan of the RL, but i wouldnt trade my 91L for the world. Im guna drive it till it dies. it has 246k and still runs great!(94% highway miles)
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top