Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a switch to control my antenna, where is a good place to pick up a nice looking switch? I don't want the metal rocker switch that look like technology from the 50s. I want something that can blend into the interior a little better. Anyone knows? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Over here in the Bay Area, there's a place called Golleti's Speed Shop that has a whole load of different switches (even that cool one for nitrous with the cover over it:D ) but I wouldn't really know where you could get that stuff in MI. I might be able pick one up and ship it to you, but I don't really know what you're looking for. If you wanna get in touch, e-mail me at [email protected]

-GR

·
Registered
332 Posts
There are lots of places that carry a wide variety of switches. Grainger, McMaster-Carr, Radioshack, MCM Electronics, and any number of other vendors.

·
Registered
275 Posts
That was a feature on the 86-89 Accord. The switch was mounted to the left of the e-brake. If I still had my Accord I would take a picture to give you an idea of what it looks like.

You might be able to get the whole assembly at a junk yard or you could probably order it at your local honda dealer.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Honda?...really?

I've seen the switch on the older Accords. My best friend has an '87 Accord LXi sitting in his carport collecting cobwebs. If i could bum the switch off of his car, how would I wire it? I having the antenna up while I'm listening to something other than the radio. It's also a pain when I'm driving in areas w/ lots of low hanging branches that might rip my antenna off. How do I wire this to my 94 L sedan?
- Mike

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Re: Honda?...really?

94LegendL said:
I've seen the switch on the older Accords. My best friend has an '87 Accord LXi sitting in his carport collecting cobwebs. If i could bum the switch off of his car, how would I wire it? I having the antenna up while I'm listening to something other than the radio. It's also a pain when I'm driving in areas w/ lots of low hanging branches that might rip my antenna off. How do I wire this to my 94 L sedan?
- Mike
I believe LegendGS has done something similar, do a search for his post. He put a switch in to make the antenna go in/out.

·
502MotorSports.com
9,296 Posts
Never done this before, but I can assume that when you want to lower the antenna, you de-energize it (fools the antenna into thinking the power is off from the car - i.e. ignition off) Therefore, you would need some additional wire from your antenna lead (back of head unit), and wire it to the + side of the switch. When you wanted it up, press up, etc. You MAY have to ground the other side, but I am no sure of this...if you hve ver wired Fog lights before, it is basically the same concept. The thing I remember about those 88-89 ACcords with the ant switch is you could move it as low or high as you wanted.......

hope this helps

·
GS Hog
7,026 Posts
Re: Honda?...really?

I'm not familliar with the accord's switch, so I don't know if or how it would work with our antenna.

Being that you have a L, I think that you can inturrupt the wire at an earlier point than what I'm about to tell you, but it'll work if you do it my way too.

Basically, at the antenna in your trunk, there are 3 wires. The middle one should be a yellow wire with white stripes. That is the wire that you will want to interrupt.

Simply run two wires long enough to reach the point where you plan to mount your switch from the antenna. You will need to remove at least your rear seat bottom to run the wire into the cabin from the trunk. I took my entire seat out to do this to make it easier.

Once you have the wires run, cut the middle wire (yellow with white stripes) and connect each cut end to each of the wires your ran. In essence, what you're doing is extending that wire into your car's cabin area.

To tuck the wire away, pry up on the door sill trim to remove. You'll need to do this for both from and rear doors. You will also need to pry up on the trim piece on the center post. This will allow you access to the carpet. You can then run the wire under the carpet to the front. If it's tight, get something like a straightened out wire hanger and tape the end of the wires to one end of the hanger. Feed it through to the front, and then pull from the other side.

Run it to where you plan to mount your switch, connect them up at the switch, put everything back together, and you're good to go.

I installed my small toggle switch (from radio shack) on my seat frame. Can't really see it if you're not looking, and always within reach. ;)

Hope this was clear. :p

·
Registered
118 Posts
There's three wire coming into that antenna, a ground, a hot when ignition is on, and a signal wire coming from the stereo unit.
I can't remember what the color of this wires are, but if anyone need it, just email me at [email protected] and i will get it for you.

The signal wire is the one that make the antenna go up or down depending on if the stereo unit is on or off. When stereo is on, there's a current going into that antenna telling it to go up, and when this current is disrupt (or stereo off), the antenna will automatically go down. Get yourself a swicth that have two lead coming off of it. Then you have to cut into that "power antenna" wire that's at the back of the stereo unit and put a switch in between that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts