Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, first off, I have searched the FAQ's and what not, so I have some knowledge of the Legends. I found a '91 4dr LS 5spd that I am thinking about buying.

I will be looking at and driving the car tomorrow (Fri).

Here is what I know about it, '91 4 dr LS, 160K miles, snows plus regular tires, T-belt changed at 155k, tune up done at 150k.

What types of things should I look at? I know that overheating can be an issue in these cars, I plan to look the radiator over thouroughly.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Well the radiator should def. be looked over and if original replace that with a new one along with upper/lower rad. hoses, new thermostat, sensor. Check for any fluid leaks around engine seals (rear) and tranny mount on the rear for any clunking sound or excess. vibration when car is put in gear. Check cond. of CV axles, steering rack and boot cover for any leaks due seals going bad if original. Change the tranny fluid if discolored ( I would regardless) and drain/fill diff. fluid with 80W-90 gear oil. I would just take it to a good Acura/Honda shop and pay to have it inspected for the above and others they will check out also. BTW, the 99tl made about 225hp where did you get those numbers?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ZiggyB said:
...BTW, the 99tl made about 225hp where did you get those numbers?
Those are at the wheel dyno numbers, power is lost in drive train. Thanks for the advice too!

·
Registered
381 Posts
i tell you one thing..

when you drive them do a 0-60 speed once then just drive for few minutes and come to a stop and let the engine run for a while and look at the temp guage.. if it's normal you good man...

other than the headgasket job.. everything else should be ecnomically fixable to my view. I had bad experience with my car. It looked like it just came of the dealer ship. I drove it and it started overheating(After I Bought it) (-: sucks man..
GOOD LUCK
Mandidy

·
Registered
9,142 Posts
The timing belt being done at 150K makes me curious. That is suppose to be done ever 90k with the water pump done at the same time. I am wondering if something went wrong to make that change interval. I would definately have it inspected by a honda/acura mechanic, get a carfax, and ask every question you can think of.
Later!
Lee

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Look way under the throttle body for a 2 inch vertical tube which connects the rear of the thermostat housing to a water passage (running under and just in front of the intake manifold). Look for coolant seepage. To repair, the intake must be removed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SLICK40 said:
The best advice I can give you is DON'T BUY ONE!
Why do you say that? I am trying to educate myself on issues that are common on these cars. Looks like headgaskets are fairly common to go bad. Other than that, I don't think there are too many issues, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, the car I was going to buy was sold out from under me, so now I have to wait until I can find another one. Damn, I'm sure one will come along before not too long though.

·
Faster than yo Legend son
1,041 Posts
catch a flight out to Maryland or Va and pick one up at the local acura dealer. just kidding but they did have a bunch of them in the paper and online earlier this week.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I think the main thing to understand about these cars (like someone said dunno who but it was on this forum) "Just because you can afford to buy one don't mean you can afford to drive one". simply put. these cars are not for someone with a shallow wallet. they can be very costly at times. but on the up side for a very nicely put to together (40,000$ in its day) luxury sedan that move down the road down at a very fast pace. Its a work of art. this forum would not exist if this car was a peice of crap. you will find all the info and help you will ever need on here if and when you do buy one. after all .... IT'S JUST A LEGEND. ;)

·
Registered
381 Posts
now someone is talking

:) now someone is talking sense here.. that's cool..RePrEzEnt

someone else mentioned in this forum Quote: "YOU HAVE TO BE A LEGEND TO DRIVE A LEGEND"

[email protected]
Mandidy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The 2 crx's are swapped and turbo'd and aren't driven daily. Talk about a high maintenance car.... My wife and I are both realtors and we need another car to show houses in. who said that 4 cars was too many??

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.