Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...so being my first ACURA I figured I'd go buy me a little $100 cd player and have it installed.......WRONG...what is this about stereo's can not be installed using the stock speakers and wiring etc.etc. if the car has the BOSE system...they're telling me I've got to spend atleast $400 just to get music in my ride?? I've had Corvettes with the stock BOSE sound system and was able to put in custom radio's without buying new speakers and redoing the wiring. Does anyone know an easy solution to this or where I can buy a stock radio to put in this baby just so I can hear some tunes???

thanks everyone!!!

Chris

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
The car needs to be rewired to bypass the old Bose amps. I believe this cost me ~$110 two years ago? That doesn't include the cost of new speakers (which you will need) and a head unit (which you will also need). My total bill came to $560.00.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow..thanks for your quick response Vince....Can I not put a "stock" radio in to avoid all that "stuff"?? and if so what years are compatible???

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
EARNHARDT4PRES said:
Wow..thanks for your quick response Vince....Can I not put a "stock" radio in to avoid all that "stuff"?? and if so what years are compatible???
You would need a Bose stereo from a first gen (86-90) Legend. I wouldn't recommend this, because spending the money will get you a better system, with more options. What if a Bose speaker blows? You are stuck buying a crappy replacement paper speaker from Bose. What if one of the amps shorts out (this is what happened to mine). You're out $220 for someone to repair it (repair it- you're not getting a new one).

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I have the full bose stereo head unit and tape deck, door speakers incl the full gear they mount into, the rear speakers, and a 10 stack cd player trunk setup, all sitting in my garage. Go to best offer around $200 cdn which is funny money to you guys around $100 us would be good. I think one of the door speakers was squeeling now and then.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hey Murphthesurf,
What size speakers do you have? And do you remember which door speaker was squealing? About $100 for the whole package? I may be interested.

·
Registered
138 Posts
All sounds familiar. Had an '85 Toyota Cressida(great car, BTW) before the Legend and it had the same type of system - remote controls and separate factory amps. I purchased a nice kenwood in-dash CD and found out the whole car needed to be re-wired to bypass the amps and work with the new system. Fortunately for me, since they didnt let me know this from the start (they actually didnt know themselves) they didnt charge me much.

Question:

What acura/honda factory systems will work in an '88 Legend L Sedan? I have this thing about stock stereo systems.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Well on closer inspection

Token, sorry the rear speakers paper cones are about 5.5x8.75 and the paper cones are toast. Looks like some dip**** stuck a finger through the paper. The door speakers are in this large plastic assembly but surprising the speaker cones are only about 4". I think the passenger side was squeeling and one door speaker has a small hole in the cone. It looks like the speakers themselves could be replaced easily but the rest of the amps and mounts would be hard to find. They're definitely original. Hard to imagine that sound coming out of those dumbass paper cones. Anyway best offer. Unless you really want original I'd go for a new system.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I've got the original stock bose radio/cass player. It was replaced to put in a Kenwood head in and CD changer. Email me at [email protected] if you are interested. It also has the tray right below with it.

'90 LS coupe
166,000 miles

·
Registered
4 Posts
1990LS

I am about to strat in on this stereo project and have basically concluded that I am well advised to replace the original bose cassette radio and all 4 speakers at the same time.

Q: I want minimal modifications on speakers. What sizes should I be putting in the doors and behind back seat?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I just replaced my stock acura radio in my 88 coupe L with a 98 TL CD/tape radio.

Fit perfectly in the DIN slot, works perfectly, sounds perfect.

No extra wiring needed, the stock harness that hooked into the the old radio plugged right into the TL radio.

The only disadvantage is that the remote mounted on the dash to the right of the steering wheel doesn't plug into the TL radio, so I am currently in the process of finding a steering wheel remote that will work with the TL radio.

And just so you know, ALL honda/acura radios up until recently (99ish to 03') fit in all slots and are interchangeable. Thats not saying that the harnessess are interchangable, but Im pretty confident that the Acuras are all pretty much the same; seeing how the 98 TL radio plugged right into my factory harness with no hitches.

Pete

·
Registered
76 Posts
i dont know what all you have had to do but i originally just popped the bose stock head unit out just to put my mp3 deck in and it works fine with the bose speakers i had it that way for about a month an aftermarket radio puts out more power than the stock headunit so the volume control would be a bit touchier but its not really a big deal the bose amps take speaker level inputs and as long as u dont crank up an after market radio with the stock speakers there should be no worries of blowing the speakers or damaging the amps now if you do decide to go rip the door panels off and get into it the front speakers are 6.5 to 6 3/4(but watch the depth due to window and defroster ducting) rear are 6x9(watch top height clearance or you will have to break the plastic behind the grill cloth) as for the harnesses in the doors and rear deck use spade connectors or chop the bose harness and use the smaller diameter wires the orange(-) and white wire(+) the other bigger diameter wires are for powering the bose amps and if u have torn your car apart they lead up under the dash where there is a 20 amp fuse in a holder with a relay to turn the amps on but you dont need to mess with that any other questions just drop me a message @ [email protected]

·
Registered
427 Posts
i got an 88 coupe LS and the only thing i've changed was the speakers and deck but no rewiring and it sounds perfect. I did however had to play around with the speaker plug becaue there are two wires but the acura wires had 4.

·
Registered
282 Posts
murfthesurf?

by chance who is MURf the surf -

Heard of some stories from the 60's of a character who stole a famous diamond or somethign-

any relation?

·
Registered
4 Posts
speaker wires

I'm about to replace OEM Bose cassette radio and speakers with new Kenwood CD player and speakers.

Circuit City is saying that I need to run new wiring and is quoting about $200 for install on top of $250 for stereo and speakers. Does the install price seem way out of line?

Also, the rear speakers sure look like 6 1/2" in my 90LS sedan. Why do I keep hearing the rear speakers are 6x9?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts