Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
PLEASE HELP problem with coolant system

I have a 1994 legend gs sedan automatic. the problem is I checked my cooant level when the car was cold and my reserve tank was nearly empty. when my car is at normal temp. I say normal temp because that is the reading I get from the dashboard the top radiator hose gets a little swollen and stiff. Also I checked my oil and that was also low it was at the first whole on the dipstick from the bottom. Were did my coolant and oil go did they burn up? Im afraid it might be a head gasket problem but I dont have smoke out my exhaust. Another thing I saw a brownish residue around the top rad hose that was connected to the engine it even leaked a little to the round belt cover under neath it it looks like a dried trail. I poured a little water on it and it disapeared so I hope it was only anti freeze.
Can any one shine some light on my situation?
Sorry about the long post

Thanks ;)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also how much anti freeze should i refill with and is it straight anti freeze or should i mix it with water? do i have to bleed the system after refilling the reserve tank or only when filling the radiator itself?

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
The question is what was the interval between the last time you checked the oil and coolant level and now. All motors will lose some oil over time. When was the last time you changed the radiator hoses, cap and thermostat? Your post appeared to depict a sm leak. A "spongy" hose needs to be replaced. Antifreeze should be mixed 50/50. There is a Minimum and Max mark on the coolant reservoir. Fill to between in order to monitor for loss. You do not have to bleed the system if you refill the reservoir or remove the cap (which you should only have to do to replace it, as any additional coolant is to be placed into the reservoir).

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
brooklyn legend said:
i put some anti freeze into the reserve bottle and when the car is cold its the same amount bet. min and max.
How do I know if the readiator is out of fluid?
It is a good idea to monitor your rad level because when my head gasket went, I had coolant in my overflow that would not go back into the rad. Anyways, YOUR CAR MUST BE COOL or you will go to the hospital cursing ans swearing about being burnt. With the engine off, unscrew the rad cap like it was a peanut butter jar or something. It shoud be right up to the top of the neck. Cars should not go through antifreeze.... its not supoosed to be low. If you take the cap off and a bit of juice squirts up then you have air in the system (pushing the juice up when you took the cap off and that is why it came up like that).

Also, spend the money on new hoses. Get a POWER rad flush from a rad shop ...... not walmart. Make sure they do a good flush so you can get al the grime out of the cooling system. Anyways, I would start with a rad flush and new hoses and go from there. Where is your temperature needle at BTW?

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
The reservoir acts as a holding tank.The radiator will always be full unless the reservoir is empty. You need to check the reservoir periodically (ex. each time you fill-up). You should check all fluids at each fill-up. Now....don't become upset as I now strongly suggest that you order an Owner's Manual and Service (Shop) Manual from www.helminc.com which will be the best $100 you could ever spend on the Legend. You too can then become a font of information.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.