Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Blk/BlkGS6
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
PLEASE HELP NEED NEW BRAKES ASAP !!!!!

**** last night my brakes went out!!!
i think my pads are gone, they squeal like crazy up front.
also my car shakes ALOT at high speed hard braking, my whole car shakes............and my rotors are rusted...................so i guess now i have no pads and i also have corroded rotors...............my mechanic told me replace my pads at least immediately..........(he didnt check my rotors, just stopped the car and heard the squealing)

i think im gonna get cross-drilled/slotted or cross-drilled/dimpled brembos with AEM pads.......................i have some questions :

1. Whats the better pad? AEM, EBC, or Axxis MM??

2. Whats the difference and advantages and disadvantages of cross-drilled/slotted and cross-drilled/dimpled ??

3. Whats the differences between different platings on the rotors such as zinc, cadium, etc, and which is best and why ??

4. my mechanic told me not to drive my car bc the pads r gone and it will damage my brakes..............im wondering if im gonna get new pads and ROTORS anyway, then does it still matter??? does driving with no pads damage anything other then the rotor??? (caliper, piston, etc)

where can i get the BEST price and quick reliable shipping, etc for the rotors and pads also?? my dad doesnt trust ordering stuff online....................he said what if they're the wrong parts for your car or they dont work.................such a hassle to ship them back, get your money back, and warranty? etc...........................

please tell me ASAP!!!! thanks alot!!

·
Blk/BlkGS6
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
PLEASE HELP!!!

oh ****.................no replies????? ........:( :mad:

i need help ASAP bc i cant drive my car!!!!! please help me out here on the stuff i asked and the 4 questions..........asap so i can order my stuff, and then even then ill have to wait for it to come:(................

please !

·
No So*p For Yo*!
430 Posts
from what i know....

slotted/drilled at irotors.com (or ebay)
slotted/dimpled at raceconcepts.com (or groupbuycenter)
Axxis MM at coximports.com
EBC at tirerack.com

hope this helps.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Not to sure about the differences on the material. I know the cross drilled rotors help w/ braking distance and Yes the rotors are bad if the car shakes while braking. It's because their warped.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
get aftermarket rotors.

OEM rotors are simply not good enough for the weight of our vehicles.
Simple as that.

·
Blk/BlkGS6
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the response to those that replied.

does anyone know the answer to my 4th question?? about if i can drive with no pads without damaging anything other then my rotors?? (piston, caliper, etc?)

and if i can still get the groupbuy price ($230) on the raceconcepts dimpled/slotted rotors ?

·
502MotorSports.com
9,296 Posts
DO NOT drive on those brakes man!
That is a death wish
If you want, get the rotors from NOPI, or race concepts. I have the POwerStops, and I prefer the AEM pads.....They are awesome. Don't get me wrong, the Axxis are great too!

I repeat....DO NOT DRIVE YOUR CAR WITH NO BRAKES OR RISK DEATH!!!

G

·
Cross drilled + slotted Brembos seem to be what the majority of the people have around here. It also sounds like from previous posts that you aren't going to be disappointed with either EBC, Axxis, or AEM pads. Also, Zinc and Cad plating seem to do the same thing and I'm not really sure if there is really a benefit to having one done over the other. I do know though that zinc is real shiny and looks cool. That is what you can get from raceconcepts/mr. woods. Later, hope that this helps.

·
Blk/BlkGS6
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
its not driving with no brakes, my car stops just fine, just squeals very loud while doing so........................i think only my front left pad is gone........................and i might have corroded and warped rotors, not sure which rotors though................probably at least the front................but i am probably going replace at least my front 2 rotors and pads.............(but i am not driving my car if i can help it, until then)

i am thinking now dimple-drilled/slotted + aem pads................
i just have to get in touch with mr wood now......................i emailed him..................ill call tommorrow.......................

whats the cheapest place to get aem pads?? (its NOT nopi!!)

also has anyone replaced their rotors and pads themselves????
how hard is it to do, how long does it take?? if i have never done it before, do u think its possible to do it with the help of instructions and someone whos replaced their pads by themselves before?? lol.........please advise.............and if its not too hard to do, can anyone post a detailed step by step guide for dummies on how to do it??? PLEASE....................??

thanks !!

·
Registered
168 Posts
detailed instructions

okay this is how you do it.

step 1= take off the centar cap:D

step 2= Loosen up the lugnuts, but not all the way:D

Step 3= Jack up the car

Step 4= put jack stands underneath the car.

step 5= take the tire completely off, Making sure not to loose the lugnuts.

step 6= Remove the calipers by taking off the two bolts on the back of the calipers.

step 7= hang the calipers by the upper a arm so the abs hose doesnt hang. Hang the calipers with either a metal hanger or speaker wire or anything laying around the house.

step 8= remove the two screws in the rotor.
(NOTE: These may be kind of difficult to remove. Take a screw driver that fits the screw perfectly, apply pressure to the screw driver while attempting to turn counter clockwise. it probably won't turn so while applying pressure counterclockwise hit the screwdriver with a hammer. This usually works.) If you break the screws it doesn't matter. The only reason their there is for an easier install. Most domestic cars don't even have these screws.

step 9= Can't remember if you need to remove the cv joint nut. Maybe. Anyone else? If you do you'll know once you get there. Its a 36 mm nut on my 91 legend coupe may be different for your car.
But if you do need to remove that for step 9

step10= pull the rotor off. you may need to hit it with something to get it loose.

step11= Grab a smoke you're half way there.

step12= Install reversal removeable. Did I miss anything or was that detailed enough?:D

oh yeah when putting the caliper back on the rotor they have a new tool that works way better than a c clamp. It pushes the pads apart. I forget what its called.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.