Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what kind of wires the 2.7L came with when it was new? Mine has Sumitomo wires and they say right on them "1989". Does this mean they are the original ignition wires?

If I do need new ones, would it be wise to purchase them from the dealer? The red ones look the best, but does anyone else make the red ones?

THanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I believe Honda's OEM supplier for spark plugs, O2 sensors, and spark plug wires is NGK. My mechanic and a Legend.org bulletin message from a while ago confirmed NGK as the OEM supplier of Honda.

Spark plugs are best if purchased at dealer (OEM), according to the Popular Mechanics Magazine Care Care column writer. OEM suppliers of spark plug wires custom design the wires so that the wire boots fit perfectly on specific types of engines. Unviersal fitting spark plug wires such as FRAM would work on many cars, but it probably wouldn't fit and perform as well as OEM.

I went to NGK's website and looked up their section on spark plug wires. They also boast about how their wires are custom designed to fit only certain cars. According to NGK parts finder, NGK has wire sets for Hondas, but none for Toyota or Ford.

So, I guess NGK really is the OEM supplier. The NGK name may be on the dealer parts.

My car came with Bosch wire sets. While I haven't had any problems with the wires, I am thinking about switching to NGK/OEM when I have to do my tune up. - coming up in 2k miles.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Sumitomo 1989 are the original OEM wires. I had the same except for a 1990. I replaced with a new OEM set just a couple months ago. If the wires have lasted this long, I recommend buying the OEM replacements. Hard to beat that quality.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Colin, there's a manufacturer close to where I live in Richmond, BC... Their wires have even less resistance than 8.8mm MSD wires... They go for about $90 CDN... They are called Aurora performance wires... They work great with no radio interference !!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Spark Plug Wires!!!!!!!!!

I have a set of 8 mm NGK performance spark plug wires that I purchased from Nopi. I first read about the plug wires in Sport Compact Car and according to them these wires are wound very tight so they look like 7 mm wires to fit the brackets that the wires snap into. Since I've had them on my G1 coupe I've had no problems and they look great. I also installed a new cap and rotor and some NGK V-POWER spark plugs. If you guys give Nopi a call I'm sure they should have more in stock. I paid $65 for the wires that includes shipping.:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts