Acura Legend Forum banner

What should I do?

• Fix the car, put in new tranny and fix other repairs.

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • Donate the car and get tax exemption

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Junk the car

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Drive the car till it dies...which will be soon

Votes: 5 26.3%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, i got my g1 for $2200 about 4 months ago when it had 140 k miles on it and ever since then I have spent about 2 grand on repairs and parts. So amost double the amount I paid for. The car has 150 K miles on it now and still has a coupe of problems. Mainly the tranny, today when I put the car in reverse...it started making weird noises...So I know my tranny is going any day. I love my car but I cant keep putting money into this. My mechanic told me to get another car. This car also needs to be re-painted and there is noticecable rust spots. I am thinking about donating it or something and get another one with lower miles on it or get a G2 or something or even a maxima.

I love my legend though, I really dont konw what to do.

any advice?
O yeah it also needs both of hte corner lights as I have previously posted.

Thanks

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hey if you have bad tranny mounts, when you put the trans into reverse it can shake the car, etc. Might wanna check that out.

I put almost 1k into my car after buying it for $350. I could have sold it after I fixed it up, cuz I knew it would break again... but didn't. Do I regret it? When it's working, hell no. Mind you, I did all my own work so I did get 'something' out of it besides a temporarily working car. I've also removed a transmission just for the experience... if you have to do it work up to it and then give yourself lots of time, took me about 10 hours to get it out.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Try and get some money for it, doesnt sound that bad.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Here is my two cents!!!!!!

If I were you I would sell the automatic and find a 5 speed that is in VERY GOOD to EXCELLENT CONDITION, no since in putting more money into a car thats just gonna continue to break down. As you may already know manual transmissions are better to work on. You should be able to find a 90 G1 coupe or a 91-93 G2 coupe for a fairly decent price. As for the maxima I don't think it will handle as well as the legend although it may have nice horsepower numbers.:(

·
Registered
583 Posts
some ideas...

give me the left front corner light ....
then fix the rest of the car....
while your working on the trans, the corner light won't feel like such a big deal...:D
He11 man, if YOU like the car, fix the car. If you don't fix it, and sell it, scrap it, whatever, you'll regret not doing so later on.
If YOUR not partial to that car (ask yourself how YOU FEEL when your sitting in the drivers seat) then sell it whole (more $) but sell it without the left front corner light....:D
Or if it dies first, part it out.... did I mention I need a left front corner light?
If you end up selling it look for another G1 if you liked it. There are still plenty of good condition G1s out there, or spend a little more and go the G2 route.
Dollars for donuts, I like my G1 alot. I'm gonna dump money into it for a long time.
Good luck. :D
FYI go to : http://www.car-part.com/
to find a good used low milage trans.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Your up to your waiste in the water might as well dive in.

You like the car or you would'nt have bought it ,right! The car has low miles. Many people who own these cars have had to replace the trany(not uncommon). I know its a dissapointment but you already have over 4k invested. What will it cost? another 1500. and you have a good car that will go a long way. Your not alone, I've had two used cars blow the trany weeks after buying them. As for the corner lites, you can pick them up at a wreckers pretty cheap, thats if your not into those fancy clear ones. And btw do you think the next used car you buy won't fail? Good luck!

·
Registered
583 Posts
insurance...

Just this last week, I picked up a whole motor/trans (83k mi) from a yard, complete with powersteering pump, altenator, air compressor etc... got it setting on the shelf for when the day comes.... gonna keep my L runnin for a long, long time....

·
Registered
846 Posts
How much did you pay for that engine and everything? Must be a big shelf:)

·
Registered
583 Posts
they tax us in arkansas....

$953.00... :D
sound like a lot? go price a powersteering pump and an alternator, and a air conditioning compressor... comes real close... just for those 3 things....

I was gonna buy a core and rebuild it hi po, but with only 83k, I think I'll keep it stock and when I get ready, pull/rebuild/hotrod the motor in the car now... :D

·
Registered
846 Posts
That sounds like a pretty decent price, for all that stuff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts