Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use Meguires's Gold Class (carnauba based) and I am very happy with the shine.

I have heard alot about Zainos (polymer) and its deep glosss and was thinking about trying it.

However I heard that polymer base products bond with the paint pores and that you build layer upon layer as you apply more coats.

My understanding is this is great for gloss and protection but that if you need to repaint the car the body shops have a big problem because the polymer (which has bonded with the paint) must come off before repainting.

Does anyone have comments or experiences to share.

G

·
yeah it bonds with the paint but to remove the polymer wax all you have to do is wash your car with dawn or any household liquid soap to remove it..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thai.95LCoupe said:
yeah it bonds with the paint but to remove the polymer wax all you have to do is wash your car with dawn or any household liquid soap to remove it..
which i hope none of you will ever do. house soap will fck your paint up worse than you can imagine....

G

·
liquid dawn when used on layers upon layers polymer wax should not affect your paint.

If you know otherwise then speak up.:)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Thai.95LCoupe said:
liquid dawn when used on layers upon layers polymer wax should not affect your paint.

If you know otherwise then speak up.:)
But your removing layers upon layers of wax. The idea is to build up layers not remove. Dawn is a good degreaser but you should use car wash detergent instead. Most good car wash detergent is PH balanced and will remove less wax off the car.

If your switching waxes and you need to remove the old silicone or carnauba based wax, dawn is a cheap and good alternative. I would suggest somthing stronger and more effective:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1007&L3=L3_1500&SKU=11135

·
Registered
847 Posts
well... the safest way to remove everything is to use a clay bar :D , which is something you should do before you start building/rebuilding the layers:)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
claus44 said:
well... the safest way to remove everything is to use a clay bar :D , which is something you should do before you start building/rebuilding the layers:)
True. Clay is safe and very effective (I swear by it) at removing surface contaiments but not in removing old wax layers or silicone in the paint. Note, that all clay are not the same. Some clay are more abrasive then others. I found Griots the best so far and most durable, I also used meguire's and mothers. Someone pointed out 3m has a new clay, hard to tell if its abrasive or not. Anything mentioning a "cutting" action should be avoided unless your experienced.

If your switch waxes (especially from a carnauba or silicone based to a polymer wax), you would get better results by claying and then use paint prep before applying the new wax. This stuff is also great for preparing the paint before refinishing.

The key is is to "dry" the paint so the polymer will be absorbed into the paint for clarity. Thats why zaino wants you to wait 24 hours before removing - like putting oil on dry skin. Old layers of wax especially silicone based will impede on this process.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts