Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i remember someone asking before, but i didnt get the details so im gonne ask again.....what is a port n polish?...what does it do?...where do i get it done?...how much should i expect to pay?....sorry for the questions...im a rookie at fixing up cars...i dont mind learning through my legend though...its a G2 sedan....thanx...

·
Registered
583 Posts
smooth baby smooth

P&P
(Usually) is smoothing the intake and exhaust areas of your head. You can also P&P your exhaust manifolds.
In addition to smoothing, you can have these areas reshaped to increase volume or speed in which you get more stuff in or out of your engine. P&P can be cheap by hackers, or expensive by F1 race motor builders. It can run anywhere from $500 to $2000.
And it's not just a weekend bolt on (read: takes a lot of time).

Thanks to MR Big for the site pointer... and after checking out this site they seem to know their shyte:
http://www.paeco.com/

The above is just a B A S I C definition, not ment to be all inclusive. Just simple.
:rolleyes:

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
I ported and polished my intake, heads and exaust manifolds. Took me ~12 hours to tear down to the head gaskets and build back from there and an additional 16 hours of work to port and polish everything. A professional could do it faster, I am certain. My Legend was only the 3rd car I did a P&P job on.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Hey NICK theres a after market torque conver out there for our cars?????

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
Yep. There are two companies on the East Coast that make high stall torque converters for a G2 Legend.

Pro-Torque on Long Island and Level 10 in Northwestern NJ.

I also believe Pro-Torque makes a high stall torque converter for G1 Legends as well.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
So tell me Nick did adding your torque converter give u any added accel? does it make your tranny more reliable or rather less suseptible to breaking down during hard accel?

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
Due to winter I have yet to take her to the track yet. Quoted time increases are from 0.5 - 1.0 second in the 1/4 mile. I also did the Level 10 stage 3 rebuild on my tranny so it can take up to 690hp so the torque converter will not break it :) A stock tranny should be able to take it too.

As far as the "seat-of-my-pants" feel yeah. I feel a different. I can power break it and rev it to 2800RPM before releasing, hang on to the parking break results in a street filled with tire smoke (which even after 6 months has yet to grow old :D). But if you get it right you can take off with minimal tire spin and get some sweet launches.

I also installed a tranny cooler because reving the engine to higher a RPM puts more stress on the torque converter which heats up the tranny fluid a lot. Also after doing so "spirited" driving I came home with smoke wafting up out of my tranny fluid overflow tube so I felt it very necessary to install a cooler.

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
Level 10 is the company. Pretty much it's a rebuild kit that includes kevlar clutches and stronger seals and gaskets so your auto tranny will shift crisper, sharper and handle more power.

The kit itself is $302, you can install it yourself ($302), have it done at a shop(~$1500-$2000), or have Level 10 do it (~$3600). I recommend having Level 10 do it if you are in the area. They will tune your car properly. Mine isn't tuned properly and I will be heading over to Level 10 in the next couple of weeks to have them take a look at her.

I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself... Auto-tranny rebuilds are black magic :D I've rebuilt my engine myself but I won't dare go inside that tranny...

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Wow Nick that was really informative, just the type of things i wanted to hear regarding auto tranny issues, i'm happy to hear this regarding the tranny so many people forget about it and just always mod their engines, they forget how important the drivetrain is to everything. I'm deffinately gonna talk with u some more when i'm in the dept to do work on the tranny hope everything works for your tranny job.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts