Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '91 LS Coupe with the factory CD changer which I installed 10/91. About three years ago I began to have problems with an occasional E-05. Then I began to also get E-02 errors. I also was not able to go directly from CD 1 to CD 6. I sometimes had to press the CD 6 button repeatedly as the changer sequentially loaded 2-5 and then 6. Most recently, the changer would stop playing shortly after loading a CD.

Three weeks ago, I took the changer out. I removed the top cover, the face plate and then the bottom cover. I did not find any dust. I noticed that there were nylon gears, chrome slider rails and threaded shafts for moving the assemblies. Only the rails had a slight trace of lube on the ends.

I used a tube of lubricant, which has a TEFLON base, that I bought from Radio Shack and lubricated the gears, rails and threaded shafts. I made sure not to put any of the lubricant in the path that the CD travels.

I was able to get access to the gears that move the laser from the bottom of the unit and rotated them to move the laser where I could wipe it off with a dry q-tip.

When I re-installed the changer, it automatically resynched everything and has operated flawlessly for the past three weeks.

I can not figure the source of the problem. It can not be age or mileage. I have a '91 LS Sedan (with 144K miles) which has never had an error and my '91 LS Coupe (with 30K miles) has had all of the problems.

Hope this long post helps someone, WHM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
funny thing...

yea, sometimes just taking it apart and reassembling it helps... esp if you have parts leftover.

i had an old portable cd player (circa 1989) that i would have to dissasemble then reassemble, then drop on a carpeted floor about every 3mo to keep it in order.
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top