Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the UK and am thinking of buying a Legend (my first) and would appreciate any comments please with regard to what to look for ?

It is a 1994 3.2 4 door with 2 owners and 65,000 miles.

The first owner owned the car from 1994 to 2003 and serviced it fully during that period in which time it covered 50,000 miles. It had the cam belt changed at 50,000 miles.

The second owner has had it since 2003, i.e. five years in which time it has only done another 15,000 miles.

The second owner in that time has changed the two front tyres and had to change the fuel filter but has not had it serviced at all in five years !

The owner is only asking £900 ($1,800) and it drives very well with no apparent problems, overheating, etc

I have read on here various posts about overheating and head gasket failures and whilst I am somehat concerned that this car has had no servicing for five years, it runs well, has low mileage and is relatively cheap.

Obviously it is going to need a thorough service but what should I look for and any comments would be appreciated please.

Thanks

Stuart

·
Go grab your bottle today
292 Posts
the guy didnt change the oil in 5 yrs?:wtf:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry should have been more specific.....the owner hasn't serviced it in five years other than oil and filter changes !

·
SGM / Type F
3,653 Posts
Welcome to the forums Stuart! My first concern for a car that has done <4700 miles per year would be how the fluids were maintained. This is because the rubber hoses/seals in most of the areas were fluids are involved in motors tend to get brittle and deteriorate from lack of constant lubrication (motor not running enough). Check carefully for any leaks (oil, coolant, trans fluid,brake, power steering) and visually inspect as many rubber hoses/lines that you possible can in the engine bay and under the car (brake lines). Check the color of all the fluids as well. The good part is that the cam (timing) belt was done at the right time! While driving check for suspension/axle issues (crunchy or squeaky noises over bumps and wheel wobble at certain speeds). Drive it on the motorway with the heat turned off off and rev it a bit to watch the temp gauge. Let it idle with the heat off for some time and check the upper radiator hose for pressure and engine bay for coolant smells. Turn the heat on and listen carefully for any bubbling/gurgling noises. Is it manual or auto? On the whole it sounds like a good deal but pictures would certainly help us make a better recommendation!

·
Registered
244 Posts
one thing to check for sure!!

Make super sure that there is no rust. like up on the roof in the top corners where windshield meets the roof. where the drain strips are. or around the trunk groove where the weather strip goes. Uneven tire wear. check to make sure no glass is cracked. My wife says check the power/force of the AC blower (should be strong) mine is so weak needs to be replaced. also check for oil leaking around the valve covers. how is the cup holder in the center console? broken? if you post a few pics of the car, people here will be able to point out every flaw in a second. Don't get discouraged cause most are common and forum members have fixed them already on their sweet ass Legends. And most likely left lots of info in here on how. if you are lucky enough to get a strong Legend you'll love it. first things to get: intake and chip (Telion) will make your car run better period. have fun.

·
Registered
380 Posts
yeah that is an amazing deal sounds like there shouldn't be tooo many problems maybe little things along the road but def do what was mentioned above. dont be afraid to take it for a good long ride. check everything at all speeds idle to 70 mph. good luck and pics would be nice

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am in the UK and am thinking of buying a Legend (my first) and would appreciate any comments please with regard to what to look for ?

It is a 1994 3.2 4 door with 2 owners and 65,000 miles.

The owner is only asking £900 ($1,800) and it drives very well with no apparent problems, overheating, etc

Stuart
I don't know much about resale value in the U.K. but doesnt that sound a little too cheap?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts