Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can some of you guys post pics of your intakes. I wanna take a look at how it should be setup.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I dont know what car you wanted it for, so here's how it should be on a 1990 (1st gen)

or if that dosen't work heres the link.

http://www.geocities.com/teamnamiek/l5.html

ITS a OBX filter, on stock tube's. Had to get a Couppler so it would fit right, haven't taken pics of the back, just got windows XP and i haven't installed my digital camera yet.

·
Registered
398 Posts
question

did you guys get rid of the metal harness that holds the hoses? and just cut the old hoses and directed them right into the intake?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Biggest K&N I could fit in a G1

Scooped through the port in front of battery to feed cold air toward it...

wash the engine... yeah, yeah... :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
woah woah woah....hold it right there, haha, hey did you use the stock piping on your 1990 legend and slip in that filter, if you've seen mine, the filter was too big so its sitting on my battery tray, i wanted to get it higher though, tell me your scerect man!

·
Registered
180 Posts
o yeah and also how did you get off the bottom part of the intake, that part that goes through the bumper to the bottom of the car.

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
On the G1 the air filter mounts differently depending on if the car is a 5spd or an auto. If it's an auto the throttle cables are in the way and you have to aim it down into the engine bay. A 5spd doesn't have this problem and you can mount it like he did above.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Custom Engineering On The Cheap...

lilboi tony said:
woah woah woah....hold it right there, haha, hey did you use the stock piping on your 1990 legend and slip in that filter, if you've seen mine, the filter was too big so its sitting on my battery tray, i wanted to get it higher though, tell me your scerect man!
A: I did use stock elbow. Leave the plastic insert in it. And miracle of miracles, it fit right in the end of the filter. Turned it a little, plugged vacuume port, drilled another slightly undersized (rubberized elbow didn't need aditional gasket) and inserted vacuume port. It is tight. Sits "slightly" rubbing plug wires and battery. Bent a little sheet metal where the original air box hooked up...:eek: ....
Main thing to watch out for:
The cable from the throttle cam to the trans (automatic). It wants to sit right where you want to put the elbow for your cool new expensive filter...
I just took the bracket off and let it sit on the elbow, attached it to another bracket behind the battery to help stiffen it. If you don't tie it down your trans will slip and you'll start having the "dam I gotta spend a lot of money" sweats... so tie it down and it will shift.

and man, it sounds GREAT!!!

bukowski=legend smiles in satisfaction ...

:D

·
Registered
583 Posts
NickD said:
On the G1 the air filter mounts differently depending on if the car is a 5spd or an auto. If it's an auto the throttle cables are in the way and you have to aim it down into the engine bay. A 5spd doesn't have this problem and you can mount it like he did above.
Mine is auto btw... Just tweek it friendly like...

·
Registered
583 Posts
lilboi tony said:
o yeah and also how did you get off the bottom part of the intake, that part that goes through the bumper to the bottom of the car.
Tips from Buk the king of low tech...

So you go down to the local hardware store and buy yourself a dryer vent tube with attached plastic vent cap wedge on one end. Paint it flat black for stealth. Get under the left front wheel and take off every screw that holds on the flat horizontal vented plastic cover between tire and bumper. Take out pre heater so you have space for vent tube. Cut circle the size of tube in flat plastic cover (right on top of vents). Place panel and tube up into car to measure and cut tube to length. Add seal to top of tube (I used an old door seal) so that it rests up under the sheetmetal where the intake pickup is located. (I'm going to enlarge it next)
Drill 4 holes in plastic cover and rivit or screw vent wedge facing forward scoop like. Replace all those dang screws. Done.

Mildly cold air induction for about $4.00...

bukowski=legend
'88 Sedan Automatic
w/lots of cheap mods.... :cool:

·
Registered
180 Posts
sorry you kinda lost me through out your wohle explanition, some pics might help alot better. =) let me keep reading it over ans try to understand.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Bukowski.... Do you still know the part number of the filter ?? I'm looking to replace my W/R foam filter with the K&N... I'm gonna test the difference with my GTech... I may even throw the old stock one back in to check that as a baseline...

·
Registered
583 Posts
Part Number for Filter

cdndvl, All:
Part number is: E-1796 from K&N. Spent over two hours going through the shelves at the local Pep-Boys to find a fit... :D

Please keep us posted on the numbers with your G-tech.

Thanks all,
B

·
Registered
79 Posts
Re: Biggest K&N I could fit in a G1

Bukowski=Legend said:
Scooped through the port in front of battery to feed cold air toward it...

wash the engine... yeah, yeah... :eek:
can you email me more pics of you engine.

·
Registered
583 Posts
More photos on the way soon as the snow melts

Photos are coming as soon as I can get to them.
I'll also photo the air port in front of battery.
Air Filter is a K&N, part number listed above...

Thanks for all the interest.:eek:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts