Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a link to some pictures that I just took a few minutes ago .. Sorry about the dark pictures, but my car has been sitting in the parking garage for the past few weeks waiting for the ECU.

Strut Bar Install Pics

Enjoy ...

·
Registered
237 Posts
So let me get this straight! The bar is the right length and all, and the mounts are direct fit? But the only problem is that you have to bend it a little to clear the top of the engine? Sounds great too me!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't drive the car yet (no ECU), so I can't comment on the difference.

Silver - Yes, the mounts fits directly onto our Legends and the bar is exactly the correct length. You don't bend the actual strut bar, but you bend the mounts.

Not bad for $25!

·
No So*p For Yo*!
430 Posts
did you guys look into the neuspeed strutbars? They look KIND OF like the MLS ones, but would cost less ~$100. I figure they will have the same mounts, but not sure if the bases are "bendable". could work??? just a thought... maybe inquire with neuspeed.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
dmenn,
how did you bend the mounts without scratchin the base or did you just hide it well?

JJJ784,
where did you see the strut bar? got any links?

-j

·
2,879 Posts
Jae,

lemme buy back teh strut bar you picked up !

aiznpride said:
dmenn,
how did you bend the mounts without scratchin the base or did you just hide it well?

JJJ784,
where did you see the strut bar? got any links?

-j

·
2,879 Posts
Hey Dave how miuch did it cost for you to bend the bar?

dmenn said:
Here is a link to some pictures that I just took a few minutes ago .. Sorry about the dark pictures, but my car has been sitting in the parking garage for the past few weeks waiting for the ECU.

Strut Bar Install Pics

Enjoy ...

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
aiznpride - It is a lot easier than what you guys are making it out to be. I seriously just bolted on one end, and pushed really hard and bended it to how I wanted it. No scratches or anything like that.

Avarice - Jon, it took me about 1 hour of my time :) No tools required, just muscle and some determination! ..

·
2,879 Posts
Dave,

If you can bend it on your own stenthg wouldnt that negate the purpose of the strut bar? I thoguth it was'nt supposed to budge at all ? I mean in the long run would the bars start to bend inwards?

G

·
WTF, I was just about to buy one of these. I was like this is nice, the bar is only $25, so I figured that for something that was 8lbs shipping couldn't be more than like $10. Shipping ended up being almost more than the bar itself. It was $20 bringing it to a total of $45. Fukc that!!! ProCarParts can go screw themselves. I have bought from them before and they sent me the wrong lights, and wouldn't even take a return :( (sent me sedan clear bumpers instead of coupe). Someone can add me to the long list of customers that will never purchase from them again.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jon - Good point you bring up .. I was able to bend the mounts in order to line the strut bar up, but I really had to push down hard to get the bolt through the end of the strut bar that wasn't bolted down. I think the force holding this strut bar down and together on the mounts is strong enough to provide 'some' type of increased handling. I can give more comments and feedback once I drive the thing.

So as speedemon said, $25+$20 ship, for $45 it wasn't a bad deal for me.

If you don't have the cash to spend on the MLS strut bar, then this is a good route. Money wasn't an issue for me, but I wanted a little project to work on :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
dmenn said:
Jon - Good point you bring up .. I was able to bend the mounts in order to line the strut bar up, but I really had to push down hard to get the bolt through the end of the strut bar that wasn't bolted down. I think the force holding this strut bar down and together on the mounts is strong enough to provide 'some' type of increased handling. I can give more comments and feedback once I drive the thing.

If you don't have the cash to spend on the MLS strut bar, then this is a good route. Money wasn't an issue for me, but I wanted a little project to work on :)
Dave, nice job, looks great. You should feel a bit of difference even though you bent the car. Let us all know how it feels.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
dmenn said:

don't wanna sound like a geek, but even if you can bend it when once side is bolted, the strut bar will maintain it's integrity when bolted tigth on both sides.
because it was only bolted on one side, you created a lever which made it easy to bend. i guarantee you, jon, that you won't be able to bend the mounts with both sides bolted down. i'll be doin the strut bar this weekend too unless i can find another strut bar. i do have a extra one if you want it jon. we can talk. i might bend them both this weekend and sell it on ebay as "legend specific" hehe.
-j

·
Registered
73 Posts
For what prelude were those strut bars originally for? i wonder if other strut bars for prleudes will fit as well?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Prelude 97-01

Not sure if other years from a Prelude will work or not .. Shouldn't matter since these do.

Side note: After I had the strut bar mounted in tightly, I tried to move it as hard as I could, and the thing would not move. As aiznpride said, you create a lever when only one side is bolted down, which makes it easier to bend.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts