Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I just evaluated 3 different types of premium unleaded on a road trip to visit friends in Kansas City. I drove on Friday from Minneapolis to Kansas City, and back on Sunday.

Here's the background:

I have a 93 LS, 6-Speed, Coupe, with a cold air intake and a larger muffler, both of which were on the car when I bought it.

I drove at a steady 80 MPH all the way to KC and back, and tested:

(1) 91 Octane - Non-oxygenated premium ==> 29.2 mpg
(2) 91 Octane -BP Premium ==> 26.5 mpg
(3) 91 Octane -Shell V-Power ==> 25.6 mpg

I filled up with non-oxygenated premium (no ethanol) in Minneapolis. When I had about a quarter of a tank left in northern Missouri, I filled up with BP gasoline. Finally, on Sunday, with a little less than half a tank of the BP gasoline, I filled up with Shell in Iowa.

Therefore, the BP figure may be skewed since it was mixed with the non-ethanol premium, and the Shell may be a little off since it was mixed with a little of the BP.

However, I can safely say that the non-oxygenated premium definitely gives better mileage. In addition, I had driven about 60 miles on city streets around Minneapolis before I left, so there was some additional non-highway mileage on there as well, making the 29.2 mpg that much more impressive.

For all the Minnesotans...the only place I know that sells it is on 54th & Chicago in South Minneapolis.

·
Aguy
1,314 Posts
+1 agreed that fuel with no ethenol definately yields higher MPG. Did a test with my truck. get an avg of 13-14 mpg with 10% ethenol regular. With no Ethenol i get an avg of about 17-18. Usually I pay a few cents more for the non ethenol but more than make up for it with gas mileage. I will say, regarding the Shell V-power, i have noticed that the legend seems to run quite a bit better than other brands i've tried.

·
Aguy
1,314 Posts
I've never tested it with the Legend just my truck. Most cars aren't designed to run on ethenol, so therefore don't get as good of mileage.(or so i've been told). I can say though that my truck gets better mileage without it.

·
stock1legend
88 Posts
i get 93 octane in chevron. Chevron doesnt give a 91 choice. i dont know why. Runs perfect on that though. in this part of va though there isnt 91... except in sunoco's. atleast from where ive seen around here.

·
Aguy
1,314 Posts
I've looked all over the place for the Non ethanol blend gas...the only place here i've found it has been at citgo..usually if one carries it they all carry it..i'd try at citgo

·
stock1legend
88 Posts
lol your a high roller huh? :p 93?!.. must be paying a fortune ... do you get better mpg with 93 than 91?
paying about $55 a tank. not to bad i think. and if it is.. its worth it! even if gas goes up still.
yea i do get good gas mileage usually if im not jumping the green light. i try not to though unless im being provoked. lasts me about 2 week. i drive my car everyday except weekends unless i have to.

·
Matthew is THE USER!
1,685 Posts
yea Shell here offers 91. thats the highest they have for Shell.
Ive been hearing not too many good things about Sunoco's 94

I've wanted to change gas stations for a while just to see if i have any gains. but i dont want to switch around all the time.

Here we have
Petro Canada
Sunoco
Shell
Esso
and some wack smaller company's that rip you off :p

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There really isn't a website that lists non-ethanol fuel. Here in the twin cities, it's sold at a place called jim's chicago service. I suppose you could call some local antique or collectible car group and ask them...they would definitely know.

It cost me $3.94/gallon...about 10 cents more per gallon. For an entire tank, that comes to about $1.50 more, but about 35 miles saved.

·
Banned
2,475 Posts
there isn't any non-ethanol gas here in NY :(

·
SGM / Type F
3,699 Posts
I use Shell V-Power 93 or Marathon 93 and despite asking everyone I know have not been able to locate a reputable station in/near Cleveland that sells unadulterated gasoline (Marathon used to, not any longer). Hmm I wonder if a website that lists non-ethanol gas stations would draw ad revenue??

·
Just Another Guy
555 Posts
Call a few stations around my area, and most of switched to Ethanol blend. Less MPG/Increase chance to clog fuel filters, esp on older cars, likely for water to build up in gas tank if left stagnant for too long, blech.

Seems like 7-11 is the only station to not have switched over yet. My question and one that I'm trying to get managers in my area to figure out is how much ethanol is actually in the gas. The sticker says "up to 10%". I've been reading stuff such as Sunoco may contain only 3%, Chevron 5%, etc. This information will likely decide where I shop.

-Ed

·
Cassis Red Pearl
625 Posts
Interesting stuff here. The only stations around here that have the ethanolatedmenated shit are the Wawa's... at least, they're the only ones that advertise it on the pumps.

My local Shell station has the 93 octane V-Power to... not 91.

Lately I've been filling up at a 7-11 that is just slightly out of my way because they have 93 octane at $3.85, which is at least 4 cents cheaper than anywhere else, even the Wawa's selling the Ethanol blend 91 horse shit.

I avoid Wawa like the plague.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
if you get a shell mastercard, and use it at shell, you get 5% off at any shell. With gas prices these days, thats nearly 20 cents/gal!!!!

and an as an added bonus, you get 1% of on any other shopping you do anywhere else. my brother used to use it at auctions when he used to buy cars. he'd get a 10,000 car and get 100 bucks in FREE GAS!!!!

They just add it all up on your bill and credit it to you. so you basically pay that much less each month on your statement/bill/w.e.

IMO everyone and their mother should get a shell mastercard.

·
SGM / Type F
3,699 Posts
:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:
I was wondering the exact same thing! It would definitely be a niche market, but, hey, maybe more drivers will become privy to the fact that ethanol is a colossal racket! :giggle: :giggle: :giggle: :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:
It would need some savvy online marketing, but between old/classic car owners and conscientious modern car owners it might generate some revenue, probably not fantastic numbers though. On a side note I found this:

Disclaimer: This does NOT men that every gas station in a certain color coded area sells just that type of gas. It simply lists the legal requirements of the state in that area. Some gas stations can legally choose to sell oxygenated fuel even when not mandated by the state. So please don't read this map literally, it is just for informational use.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.