Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 93 Acura Legend Sedan with the factory Bose unit. For some reason, when I use my stereo to listen to CDs, only the right speaker has sounds. This happens too when I use the cassette tape slot to listen to my ipod using MOST tape-to-ipod cassette tapes. I've found some tapes that would work. However when I listen to the radio, I get sounds from both speakers.

Does anyone know what the problem is and how I can fix it? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Well, if you are getting sound through the radio then the line level sends from the head unit (assuming it is a Bose Premium system) are working. Well, even if it was the regular Bose Setup that would mean that your speaker level outputs are working so the the only thing I can think of is either a bad tape adapter and perhaps the interface for the CD changer is somehow bad (either the CD changer cable, radio, or CD changer.

By chance are you using a regular tape-to-1/8" TRS cable, otherwise known as a tape-to-headphone adapter? If you are using something propriatary that hooks into the bottom port of your iPOD I would switch to using the good old standard tape-to-headphone jack (otherwise known as the old school portable CD player tape Car adapter; you can pick them up at Wal-Mart for $9.98) and just use your regular headphone out of the iPOD. Last, if you are using an alpine replacement CD changer you need to have the Acura-to-Alpine adapter or else you will have some wierd phase cancelling effects that will result in you probably having strange sounding audio or no audio at all out of two or more speakers.

Though, all of this and it could very well be your head unit. Though it is worth a shot trying to troubleshoot it. My factory audio system basically did not work at all, then after completely tearing rewiring the bypass job done on the Bose amp, then replacing one of the amp modules inside the Bose amp, taking apart my Acura OEM CD changer pulling out the jammed cartridge and CD (there was actually still a CD stuck in there after getting the cartridge out) I now have my audio system completely back to stock, well except for the new Infinity Kappa speakers all the way around, which sound really great by the way. It took me about 4-5 hours of troubleshooting and labor (most spent dropping sockets and screws into difficult to reach places) but it is all done and it sounds great.

Well, good luck with your stereo troubleshooting endeavor. Let us know how it turns out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts