Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok tach works sometimes then in the middle of driving it will drop to zero and stay there then it will work for like 2 weeks then quit workin,any ideas next question speedo has never worked cable is in and plugged in the back of the housing cant figure out why it wont work anyone has any idea would apperciate it

· Registered
638 Posts
Im not too sure about the the legends tach personally but usually a tach has a ground wire and a 12v running to the coil. so theres probably a loose or broken wire, if theres a problem with it you can just straight wire it, if the tach is bad its basically just a spring coil so once its dead, its dead, so yea, a wire

· Registered
1,292 Posts
Tach is controlled by the coil and the igniter. There's an internal resistor in the coil that tends to go bad and cause the tach to go wonky ...resistor doesn't seem to impact anything else ...just the coil. You can check the speedo cable a couple of ways: I found the easiest is to put the front of the car on jack stands ....removed the instrument cluster ....unplug the speedo cable from the speedo ...start the car up, put it in gear, and see if the cable turns. If it does ...you have a problem with the speedometer itself: if not, you have a problem with the cable, or at the transmission end.

· Registered
1,292 Posts
Sprayin88ac: ...there's no separate "clip" as such that holds the cable into the back of the speedo ...at least not on an 89 or 90 Sedan. The end that goes onto the back of the speed has a couple of "pressure" bars that hold it in place once its pushed on.

Krizno: if you're in California and it gets so cold that the speedo won't work, then I think you have other problems!! Where I live, it routinely goes to -40 degrees (same in C or F) ....and it has NEVER effected a speedo or tach on any vehicle I've owned.

Seriously, though ....you likely need to lube either the cable, or the speedometer itself ...or both.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.