Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just picked up an 87 Legend Sedan 5spd for free. Now I want you to keep in mind that it was completely free as you look at these pics. haha.

It's currently sitting in the middle of a field, collecting dust, bugs, and smell. :rolleyes: The guy that gave it to me told me it blew a head gasket but besides that, it's a great runner. So I'm thinking either fix the head gasket, or swap in the 2.7L from the 88-90 Legends. Any for sale? Is this a bolt on swap? Anyways, heres the pics.

Actually doesn't look bad in this shot...

Note the bird/rats nest in the engine bay :D

Grungy interior

So our first step was to clean out the interior... this involves taking out all the seats, center console, carpet, etc. We're gonna shampoo the carpet and try to find new seats.. (any for sale?)

Couldn't get the drivers seat yet cuz theres no battery in the car, and we cant reach the back 2 bolts without moving the power seat up.

Anyways, thats all we've done so far... it was our first day working on it. Next post I'll include a full list of our plans. Now before you say, "it's not worth it" this project is more for the experience than anything else. Thanks for looking!

· Registered
8,330 Posts
u should be able to fix it, ur on hond-tech, haha. it looks wosre than my neighbor's legend right now, and btw, my neighor might be dumping her legend soon, so ill tell you to come for some parts when the time comes
nice project y0!

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ken said:
btw, my neighor might be dumping her legend soon, so ill tell you to come for some parts when the time comes
Hey thanks alot man. Let me know whats up with that. Is hers a 4dr? What color is the interior? Where in the Bay Area are you?

· Registered
174 Posts
A suggestion, take the carpet out and take it to the care wash and spray it down, use the engine cleaner and let it sit for a few min then use the high pressure rinse. I did that to both of mine works great and look new.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sam o nela said:
It could be because his V6 logo says V6 L...
yep. its an L :p

1genacura said:
A suggestion, take the carpet out and take it to the care wash and spray it down, use the engine cleaner and let it sit for a few min then use the high pressure rinse. I did that to both of mine works great and look new.
That sounds much simpler than what i was planning on doing... thanks!

88_acro said:
the rear seat dont look too bad id say get a jdm I can feel the diference in usdm and jdm because i have both the jdm feels more powerful
I've been looking around for either USDM or JDM, and it's pretty dissapointing so far... i can't seem to find an engine for under $500. Is this the going price for these engines? I've never really researched them before... Do you know the differences in HP/TQ between the JDM and USDM off the top of your head by any chance?

Also, when we're done stripping everything down, we're planning on painting the whole car gloss black.

· Registered
8,330 Posts
.LiViNgLeGeNd. said:
Hey thanks alot man. Let me know whats up with that. Is hers a 4dr? What color is the interior? Where in the Bay Area are you?
Hers is a 4dr, white on gold or something like that, the interior is goat brown, everything is pretty worn but still usable, the seats look fine, the carpet needs a good cleaning though, or mybe you can re-dye it black. Im located in San Francisco, sunset district

· Registered
8,330 Posts
her body is pretty beat n rusty, but stuff u might want like the headlights n tails are still there and so are all of the interior pieces. Although some peices arent in the best condition. SInce she needs to get rid of the car soon and recieve money from the state, you might have to trade her for parts n a bit of money.

· Spiral descent
5,040 Posts
Wow, I love it. Good job on the find, and good luck fixing it up. :bowdown:

If you haven't already voted on your '90, go here and vote on your '87 since they're more rare!

http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73611

2.7legend said:
i meant v6 on the engine..oh wait you have the 2.5...engine looks neat.
Yeah, they used a different cover on the 2.5's that is bigger and isn't gold.

· Registered
2,038 Posts
well the jdm's have higher compression...how much..i don't know.
but i'm assuming maybe 9.something to one.

there are some parts you have to switch in order for it to pass emissions...

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
does anybody know if the 2.7L engine will fit seamlessly into that bay, seeing as a 2.5L currently occupies it?

· Registered
9,369 Posts
.LiViNgLeGeNd. said:
yep. its an L :p

That sounds much simpler than what i was planning on doing... thanks!

I've been looking around for either USDM or JDM, and it's pretty dissapointing so far... i can't seem to find an engine for under $500. Is this the going price for these engines? I've never really researched them before... Do you know the differences in HP/TQ between the JDM and USDM off the top of your head by any chance?

Also, when we're done stripping everything down, we're planning on painting the whole car gloss black.
If you are going to ga as far as stripping the car I would have it acid dipped. If you can not find a place that does this you can do media blasting. Make sure you throw some primer on the car ASAP after either one of these.
Later!
Lee

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.