Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· I'van der Rohe
13,069 Posts
okay so im confused...it looks like it's running off gas and propane at the same time. snice propane ups the "fuel" reading the ECU cranks less fuel?

the injection nozzle for the propane doesn't look like it's metered. it just looks continuous unless there's a block that meters injection relative to engine speed and vacuum i dont see how it can function purely on propane....

maybe it's vacuum operated. *shrugs* interesting idea nontheless.

· I'van der Rohe
13,069 Posts
Gride_Cruiser said:
Propane conversion has actually been quite popular in England being that the gas prices are so high. I have no idea how it works either, though a lot of taxi's in Asia are going that route as well.
yea you're right...it's crazy popular around the world...

wonder why we haven't heard about it on the news...Big Oil >_<

but yea, it's vacuum operated with a bunch of other little nicknacks...interesting. the factory honda 10:1 comepression was sufficient for that conversion it appears.

interesting concept, i wonder what the kind of performance you can jug from those bad boys.

· Domesticated *******
1,679 Posts
Thats pretty cool. Instead of a $40 fill up I could go and trade the propane tank in for a new one at $20.

The burn properties of propane and regular gasoline are almost the same when in a vapor form.

I know this is different, but I have a generac backup generator that runs on gas, but is switchable to propane w/ the turn of a valve. The only thing different is the fuel delivery lines.

Somthing else that is pretty cool about propane is you can charge your AC with it and it will cool as good as the freon. I would hate to get into a wreck with that in my system.

· ***ned
4,631 Posts
Propane conversions are very popular down here in farm country Florida. We have a propane fill station for vehicles right down the street from our house. The propane syatem uses an electronically controlled valve that is inline on the fuel line. When you flip the switch under the dash or wherever it is mounted, the valve switches from the gas tank to the propane tank and shuts off the fuel pump. The propane tank doesn't need a fuel pump because the propane is under pressure in it's tank and self feeds using that pressure.

I know this cause our Self-loader wrecker at Magic Tows has two 20 gal gas tanks and a 40lb. propane tank. It can run on either propane, gas or both at the same time. I will tell you, that 454 Big Block has some balls when it is running on both! The only downside to having it in that truck is that the truck is a 1998 Chevy 3500 HD with OBDII and when running on propane the computer notices that the fuel pump is not operating and throws a code causing the "Service Engine Soon" light to come on. Other than that, we haven't had 1 problem with it.

Later!
Lenny

· Factory Freak!
1,651 Posts
This propane conversion is actually now a factory option for some Chevy trucks. My friend said he does alot with it at their dealer garage. No clue how it works though? We should look into this more and maybe like Steve said, "group buy" :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.